No announcement yet.

2001 Soloist 7 Custom shop USA value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jt580lp's are ok, but NOT appropriate for a custom shop guitar. The route looks like a standard Floyd route. I would put a real OFR on it post haste!

Comment

Originally posted by ps43203 View Post
      Jt580lp's are ok, but NOT appropriate for a custom shop guitar. The route looks like a standard Floyd route. I would put a real OFR on it post haste!
      I would argue that's a JT580LP route made specifically for this 7-string JT580LP, not a standard OFR route. Note the angled corners. Also, going by the 6-string version of the JT580LP, its route is larger than a 6-string OFR route. I don't have any personal experience with the 7-string JT580LP, but if it's anything like the 6-string version, it too will be wider than the corresponding 7-string OFR route. See here for a photo of a 6-string OFR sitting in a 6-string JT580LP route and note the gap surrounding the Floyd: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp

But I do agree that an OFR is much more appropriate for an American guitar like this 7-string Soloist. If the 7-string version behaves like the 6-string version, changing the JT580LP for an OFR should be a direct swap (see above link).

What made me revisit this topic is that I'm currently browsing/studying the Jackson catalogs and discovered that the DR2, which is a USA made Dinky Reverse (pictured below), had a JT580LP, very much like the surprise expressed in this thread of finding the 7-string JT580LP on a Custom Shop Jackson. See page 4 of 15 of this PDF of the 1996 Jackson catalog: https://assets.contentful.com/4jcppg...96-catalog.pdf

The catalog says:

This year's DR Series offers the most intense collection of this style to date, starting with the DR2... our first USA made production model! It comes primed with dual Duncan humbuckers, ebony fingerboard, and our JT580LP licensed Floyd Rose tremolo.
      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-21-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Interesting that the DR2 has Duncan pups when the other USA "budget" models like the RR2 and SL2 also had the JT580LP trem but with Armstrong pups.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

According to that same catalog, it says the SL2 has "Jackson JP-10 and JP-11" humbuckers. Were those made for Jackson by Kent Armstrong?

Comment

Yep, that's them. And it also makes mention of the SL2 being available with sharkfins, which someone recently posted a pic of on here not long ago, the SL2S.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah yes, the SL2S that Luca1973 posted (https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...bie-from-Italy) now makes much more sense to me, now that I have some context from browsing the catalogs earlier today!

Comment

Originally posted by nohedge View Post
                what do you mean by pointy? im looking at picking this up for a fairly good price from him in the interest to resell it. thanks for the input.
                7 inline headstock is what I'm referring to. Most production USAs have the 4x3 headstocks.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  7 inline headstock is what I'm referring to. Most production USAs have the 4x3 headstocks.
                  aww i see. little late to bump but i bought the guitar off of my buddy. in your earlier post you said "There has been no USA Select or Custom Select 7 string pointy soloists that I'm aware of, so it's a bit more uncommon." but it seems i can find some.. https://reverb.com/item/6350755-2017...te-finish-case , https://reverb.com/item/11002213-jac...non-2013-black , https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-USA....c100033.m2042

these are much newer though as mine is a 2001. i emailed jackson and a fender rep responded with literally the lamest attempt at a response basically telling me that "that serial number didnt come up it was likely made before 2002 when fender acquired jackson" ... i literally said in the email it was built in 2001...im really trying to get more info on the production numbers and if there were multiple versions of this guitar i.e. for a certain vendor or if this was small production type of deal.

any info from anyone is appreciated..
                  Last edited by nohedge; 03-27-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

aww i see. little late to bump but i bought the guitar off of my buddy. in your earlier post you said "There has been no USA Select or Custom Select 7 string pointy soloists that I'm aware of, so it's a bit more uncommon." but it seems i can find some.. https://reverb.com/item/6350755-2017...te-finish-case , https://reverb.com/item/11002213-jac...non-2013-black , https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-USA...k/162621502573
                    Thanks for proving my point. The top one appears to be a NAMM guitar with a sold tab, meaning it's full custom shop, either way. The 2nd is a Shannon limited run. Mike Shannon is masterbuilder, those would be full on custom shop JCS limited run. Neither are standard production or custom select. They're both full on custom shop builds.

Comment

Oh, the only standard production pointy 7 I could think of is if there were any standard production 7 string USA COW sigs made, but I think all the USA production were Custom Shop models, the rest were MIJ. All the standard production 7s, which all or mostly Brodericks have the 4x3 headstock.

Comment

Oh, the only standard production pointy 7 I could think of is if there were any standard production 7 string USA COW sigs made, but I think all the USA production were Custom Shop models, the rest were MIJ. All the standard production 7s, which all or mostly Brodericks have the 4x3 headstock.

This is the closet to mine i have found yet. 2000 that in description originally had emgs. He also said originally had "cheaper" floyd rose which i wonder if he means the one thats on mine...

Comment

I don't know what he means by cheaper Floyd. Back then the only 7 string Floyds I'm aware of were OFR MIG.

I don't see why you're obsessed with finding another guitar identical to yours, it's a custom shop.

Comment

I don't know what he means by cheaper Floyd. Back then the only 7 string Floyds I'm aware of were OFR MIG.

I don't see why you're obsessed with finding another guitar identical to yours, it's a custom shop.
                            Am i mistaken in thinking that custom shop guitars arent just custom ordered to individuals but they are also done in small runs for vendors? Im simply trying to find out whether this is a one off or was part of a run. Im not trying to keep the guitar im looking to sell it. So knowing these things helps to have an idea of a fair market value as to not rip myself off or ask to much.

Comment

Am i mistaken in thinking that custom shop guitars arent just custom ordered to individuals but they are also done in small runs for vendors? Im simply trying to find out whether this is a one off or was part of a run. Im not trying to keep the guitar im looking to sell it. So knowing these things helps to have an idea of a fair market value as to not rip myself off or ask to much.
                              I dunno how many more times I can repeat myself. There is no USA inline 7 string headstock that has been mass produced, that I'm aware of. I've only been here for more than 16 years paying attention. Everything you've posted have been one off custom shop builds. The Shannon JCS run was a batch, but it was not Custom Select. When Mike Shannon's name is attached to a run, that means a batch custom shop guitar done with pin router, not CNC, and is considered a full on Custom Shop.

Comment

I dunno how many more times I can repeat myself. There is no USA inline 7 string headstock that has been mass produced, that I'm aware of. I've only been here for more than 16 years paying attention. Everything you've posted have been one off custom shop builds. The Shannon JCS run was a batch, but it was not Custom Select. When Mike Shannon's name is attached to a run, that means a batch custom shop guitar done with pin router, not CNC, and is considered a full on Custom Shop.
                                Alright. Thanks for your help Mr. Curmudgeon.

Comment

Working...
                                X