Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell a real USA Jackson from a fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell a real USA Jackson from a fake?

Found something really interesting at a local Facebook classified ad. It was listed as “black V shaped guitar $400” and upon closer inspection, it seems like a Dave Mustaine signature KV1. To my understanding, this is a $2000+ guitar so why so cheap? I contacted the seller and he went even lower on the price, the only “catch” is that it has no case. It seems to have all the right stuff EMG’s, neck-through, Kahler trem, Jackson USA Dave Mustaine on the headstock. But I can’t get over the overly cheap price and why he went even lower than that. I’m looking at this guitar this weekend, already got into an argument with the wife, but I don’t care if she serves divorce papers, I’m not passing on a USA Jackson for under $500 lol! I bust my ass at work for 8+ hours a day while she drives for Uber when she feels like it so yeah I deserve me a nice toy. Ok sorry for the vent, I just need to know what to look for in case it’s a fake. Because for this cheap, the guy must not now what he has, or it’s a fake, or stolen! I’ll only buy if it’s 100% legit.

Sorry no pics, I used to host everything in phorobucket, but we all know what they did to block third party hosting.
    Last edited by 1neeto; 03-23-2018, 04:14 AM.

There is a lot to it. Do the features line up to the model/era, control and tremolo cavity routes, control placement, subtle (some not so subtle) differences in headstock shape, logo, body shape and more.

I you don’t have the eye for it, I doubt forumers could do much to help without pics... or a link to the page listing the guitar which I suspect you do not want to share.

Comment

link to the ad if it has picks
      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Aside from a knowledgeable person accompanying you to the in-person inspection/purchase, I would highly recommend sharing photos from the ad, or linking the ad itself.

Yes, Photobucket has blocked 3rd party linking. Try any number of other great, free, generous image hosting websites available on the internet: https://www.google.ca/search?num=100....0.TntraCcB68g.

My personal choice and recommendation is http://www.imgur.com.

General attributes I've seen in fake USA Jacksons include wrong headstock shapes, body shapes where the dimensions are askew, sharkfin inlays that are made of plastic like on the imports, knockoff tremolo systems (wouldn't apply to the KV1 which has a fixed Kahler), things like that.

Since the KV1 has LSR tuners which are apparently expensive / out of business / difficult to replicate, that might be another dead giveaway clue.

Comment

Sounds good, except for the EMGs not being original. And it doesn't have a trem, but a fixed Kahler. Get pics.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Fakes usually get the headstock shape and electronics cavity shape wrong...among other things.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks guys, I finally opened an imgur account lol! The Kahler does seem like a fixed bridge, the dials did look like FR trem fine tuners, my bad for not being familiar with Kahler Bridges. Ok here’s some pics!

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

Seems a fake. That headstock and its binding are strange.

Comment

Could it be one of these??

Comment

Bridge looks crooked too?

Comment

Ah the seller just changed the listing and added “replica” on the description. Ok not interested anymore lol

Comment

Haha! Glad you dodged a bullet!

Comment

Lol here’s the link:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

I was excited but also cautious. That’s why I posted here! Thanks guys for spotting a few things out of such crappy pics.

Comment

You know what? Even though the guitar is a counterfeit, I have a feeling the EMGs are real. Fake guitars with "brand name pickups" typically have incorrect-looking logos on the pickups (usually the font type or font size looks "weird"). The logos on these EMGs are correct, and the texture of the pickup covers also looks correct for EMG.

Comment

Working...
                              X