Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Pair?

[IMG][/IMG]

Picked up an SL2H locally a couple weeks ago. 2008, same year as the SL2HT. It was pricey, but screw it. I've been trying to get another USA for a couple years now.
    These things are pushing $4000 Canadian tax included in Nova Scotia for a new black one.

As expected, the Floyd feels great under my hand compared to the TOM bridge, but the TOM destroys the Floyd in sustain and volume. The TOM is quite noticeably less 'muffled' sounding both acoustically and plugged in.

The lesser amount of metal touching the strings at the saddles would be the cause, no?

Though, the SL2H is an amazingly comfy guitar to play. I couldn't be happier.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Congrats. Nice pair.

As for the Floyd sustain, go to FloydRose.com and get a Tungsten sustain block and brass claw. It will do WONDERS for the guitars sustain, resonance and tone.
    Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-07-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Sweet pair of soloists! Congrats.

Comment

yep awesome pair!
        Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
          Congrats. Nice pair.

As for the Floyd sustain, go to FloydRose.com and get a Tungsten sustain block and brass claw. It will do WONDERS for the guitars sustain, resonance and tone.
          I have seen these upgrades before but have not had a chance to test drive a guitar with these mods. This makes me wonder if one of the guitars I had previously had these mods. It was an SL1 but seemed to have way better tone and sustain than the others I have played and I wrote it off as mojo. Unfortunately, the neck had issues and I returned it but it was hard to let it go back.

Comment

Congratulations Mudlark! One simply cannot have too many Jackson USA guitars

Comment

Originally posted by 10kohm View Post
              I have seen these upgrades before but have not had a chance to test drive a guitar with these mods. This makes me wonder if one of the guitars I had previously had these mods. It was an SL1 but seemed to have way better tone and sustain than the others I have played and I wrote it off as mojo. Unfortunately, the neck had issues and I returned it but it was hard to let it go back.
              It is hard to really describe. With the Tungsten the guitar even when unplugged is louder and more... alive. I did this mod to my guitar and both of my sons upon hearing and playing my guitar decided to make these mods to their Floyded guitars too.

We also do the noiseless springs. They are less about what they add and more about what they take away. They eliminate spring noises (clunks, thuds, reverby noises).
              Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-07-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Perfect pair! Congrats.

Comment

It's like looking at a perfect pair of tits.

Do you find you are using the trem? Are you using it less or more than you expected?

Comment

I love them! Are they in the same tuning?
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Thanks, guys. I expect I'll upgrade the block in the future just out of curiosity.
                      They're both in E flat now because I've been doing a lot of recording using one for lead, one for rhythm.
                      Eventually, the SL2HT will get different tunings when I feel a need for a change in sound. Drop D is fun.

NOTP, I've been fooling with the Floyd occasionally, but they evidently require more skill than I possess to produce any more than noises.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Nice! Hard to go wrong with those two.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Perfect Pair.

Comment

Working...
                          X