Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you tell me about San Dimas made USA Jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you tell me about San Dimas made USA Jacksons?

There's a guy not too far from me with what he says is a late 80s Jackson Dinky (bolt on). It has the San Dimas Made In USA neckplate as well as the headstock saying Made In USA as well. It's a black crackle finish like a lot of shredder guitars had in the 80s with what I presume are the active Jackson pickups (HSS) since it has 3 mini toggle switches like the Model 6 Charvels and looks like the Schaller made Floyd, likely a JT-590. It's a 22 fretter with what looks like mop dot inlays.

The serial # is 29xx but doesn't seem to match up with San Dimas made USA Jacksons unless I'm looking at something wrong, but using Jackson's bolt on serial number guide, it's showing the serial to be in the 87-89 Ontario range.

Anywho, it looks to be in decent shape but the tip of the headstock is a little chewed up and some of the hardware and pickup pole pieces are rusty, but it is apparently a USA Jackson so still may be worth getting. Just curious what you guys may be able to tell me about the guitars.

Is it 2954?

Without pics it's difficult to say for sure. If the schaller floyd is original to the guitar, it's likely 89 as they used the JT6 trem in 87 and 88. If it has a normal Floyd locking nut, that puts it to the same era, if it has the kahler-esque JT6 string lock behind the nut, then it'd be 87 /88.
    Last edited by neilli; 05-08-2018, 09:19 PM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Lol how did you know? That's what the plate says. And it has the typical Floyd nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
        with what I presume are the active Jackson pickups (HSS)
        Jackson never made active pickups. They're passive and would sometimes be used with their active electronic preamps like the mid boost, gain boost or parametric wah sweep.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
          Lol how did you know? That's what the plate says. And it has the typical Floyd nut.
          I have pics of it! It's a dinky and looks like an 89..
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

active/passive - that is a common mistake. In fact, even after explaining it, some people won't know the difference.

The 590 would definitely not be a San Dimas.

Two other things to look at -
            if the tremolo is recessed, or even partially recessed, it is not San Dimas unless it was specifically ordered to have one. Not many (if any?) people custom ordered a recessed tremolo. They would all be top mounts.
            the logo. While Jackson has used various logos and scripts throughout the years, Jackson R only existed after San Dimas. If it says Jackson TM, you most likely (but not 100% guaranteed) have a San Dimas. Jackson R was everything after.

The fact that the neck plate says San Dimas means nothing. The plates were already made before the move. In fact, even when they were in San Dimas, they weren't actually in San Dimas, it was Glendora.
            And many of us feel that the original Ontario guitars were much better instruments.

Comment

it's an ontario guitar if i'm thinking of the one you are talking about...looks like end of tgot chewed on by a dog?...not san dimas but that doesnt mean its not a great guitar...i have an 89 dinky that is absolutely incredible and has seen much more sh*t than that black and white one lol...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
              X