1996 Jackson USA Dinky Reverse DR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Jackson USA Dinky Reverse DR2

When i was 13 i got my first guitar. not knowing much about guitars my friend sold me his Jackson DR2 for 50$. threw the years i played a lot on the guitar and moved a lot in the process. during one of the moves someone decided to steal the floyd rose, take off the back platings, and took the knobs. years later i always said i would buy replacement parts, but never actually had enough extra money to do so. now im at an impasse, i have held on to this guitar for 12 years its beat up. paint chipped, head stock has a gouge in it (because a buddy helped me move... even though i told him not just about the physical value but the sentimental value) and i dont know if i want to sell it for what parts are left or keep it with the hope that one day i may be able to get it fixed.
    this guitar means a lot to me, not only have i had it for over half my life but a good friend of mine used to jam out on it and recently he committed suicide.

so the question remains do i sell it or wait to fix it. and even if i did have the money where would i go (besides this forum) to find parts?

Holy shit, $50 was a great deal. Even if you install the correct replacement parts, you'd still come out ahead. Plus, you mentioned sentimental value, along with your recently deceased friend having played the guitar and you can't put a dollar value on that. (I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's suicide.)

If you look in the 1996 Jackson catalog found on https://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppo...hived-catalogs, you will see your DR2 in the first few pages.

The tremolo is a Takeuchi tremolo, made for Jackson under the model name JT580LP. Those were common tremolos on import Jacksons (such as the Japanese Professional Series) from about 1996 to 2011, and oddly enough also appeared on USA guitars like the SL2, RR2, and your DR2. I haven't looked around, but the trems might not be too difficult to find. Takeuchi makes the same tremolo for Ibanez under the model name Lo-TRS with "Ibanez" embossed on it, and for ESP under yet another model name with "ESP" embossed on it, and for the BC Rich NJ Series under yet another model name, yet they are all the identical tremolo, made for each respective company's mid-priced guitars. So if you're not picky about what tremolo logo matches what guitar, you might easily be able to find a Takeuchi tremolo.

If you want to "upgrade", an Original Floyd Rose should be a direct fit for a Takeuchi tremolo route. See here http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp for photographic proof.

Compatible backplates and knobs (and if you're a perfectionist, even the "correct" ones) would be relatively easy to find. Either consult http://fretsonthenet.com/ which is owned by a JCFer, or hunt around on eBay, AllParts, your local music stores, etc.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X