Talk about a STEAL!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about a STEAL!!

Got this 1996 RR1 a couple weeks ago for $80 cash and 3 hours worth of work! Talk about a steal! Gotta disassemble the Floyd, remove the rust, clean it up a little bit, polish it, etc...but it should mend quickly. Can’t believe I got this for hardly anything!! Anyone else have something like this “fall into your lap”?

Last edited by synapsistheory; 06-28-2018, 02:29 PM.

CONGRATS! $80! Even Squier Strats get scooped up quickly at that price in my area, never mind a USA Jackson at that insanely low price! Even with an extra 0 in the price, it would still be a steal at $800.

What work did you have to do for 3 hours? I'm thinking I should try that line of work...

EDIT: I noticed you're using Photobucket as a host, and hotlinking your RR1 photos from there. For now I can see your pics just fine, but just a warning that the pics may not display properly for long due to Photobucket's block on hotlinking (unless you pay their exorbitant annual subscription fee). Consider using any other free image host (https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.EOkVHRikVx0) and re-linking here. Your guitar deserves to be shown off to the world and Photobucket will ruin the fun.

Originally posted by synapsistheory View Post
    Anyone else have something like this “fall into your lap”?
    I do OK waiting patiently for local deals and then pouncing on them as quickly as I can, and I've seen guys on Facebook snap up Japanese Ibanez RGs for under $100, but never USA guitars for under $100.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-28-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

That's great - congrats! A few bucks on new bolts for the Floyd and you're ready to go!
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yes, almost a steal, CONGRATS!!

Don't forget a pair of gloves before touching that bridge

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          CONGRATS! $80! Even Squier Strats get scooped up quickly at that price in my area, never mind a USA Jackson at that insanely low price! Even with an extra 0 in the price, it would still be a steal at $800.

What work did you have to do for 3 hours? I'm thinking I should try that line of work...

EDIT: I noticed you're using Photobucket as a host, and hotlinking your RR1 photos from there. For now I can see your pics just fine, but just a warning that the pics may not display properly for long due to Photobucket's block on hotlinking (unless you pay their exorbitant annual subscription fee). Consider using any other free image host (https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.EOkVHRikVx0) and re-linking here. Your guitar deserves to be shown off to the world and Photobucket will ruin the fun.

I do OK waiting patiently for local deals and then pouncing on them as quickly as I can, and I've seen guys on Facebook snap up Japanese Ibanez RGs for under $100, but never USA guitars for under $100.

A client of mine came into possession of about 15-20 guitars...the RR1, a 90's RR Performer, a couple Gibson LP's, a couple 80's Gibson Flying V's, an SG, a doubleneck SG, and about 10 different marshall amp heads all with cabs...and had no idea what he had or how much any of it was worth.

As soon as I saw "Made in USA" on the headstock and realized it was an RR1, I asked him how much he wanted for it.

He looked at a post-it note that he had put on the case and said, "$400".

I could'nt respond with, "DONE!!!!" fast enough lol.

A few minutes later I was able to haggle him down to $80 cash out of my pocket and a 90 minute massage each for him and his wife(I'm a Certified Massage Therapist).

Thanks for the heads up about photobucket. I had'nt used my account in so long when I signed in I saw that I had pictures saved of an old Jackson SL4 in Violin Brown flame top finish that I used to own. Took a trip down memory lane there.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            That's great - congrats! A few bucks on new bolts for the Floyd and you're ready to go!
            Thanks! Yeah I stripped it down and soaked the rusted components in white vinegar. A couple hours later the rust was gone but so was the black finish. I ordered new saddle screws, strings blocks, string block screws, and fine tuning screws for it, as well as a tremolo bar since it was missing the original.

I'd say it cleaned up well. *This is BEFORE installing new screws and blocks*

I still have yet to dress the frets but I did clean and condition the fingerboard. Waiting on a few parts before I give it a long overdue re-string and setup.

Last edited by synapsistheory; 06-28-2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Darn that's the steal of the century!!! 80 bucks! Great score man! Keep us updated on the restoration process Also, why not just replace the whole bridge?

Comment

Holy crap, what an amazing score! Love the metallic blue.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Congrats! That sure is a happy ending for the cost of $80 plus two other happy endings.

Comment

Originally posted by Yash View Post
                    Darn that's the steal of the century!!! 80 bucks! Great score man! Keep us updated on the restoration process
                    I still can't believe it! Will do!

Originally posted by Yash View Post
                    Also, why not just replace the whole bridge?
                    ...because the trem plate is still in decent shape with plenty of life left and a few screws only cost a couple bucks vs. spending $200+ on a new Floyd.

I'll probably replace it eventually but for now it still has a lot of life left. Despite the amount of rust, dust, and grime that was on the guitar when I got it, it really was'nt in bad condition for being 22 years old. It had just been neglected and forgotten about.
                    Last edited by synapsistheory; 06-29-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Congrats! That sure is a happy ending for the cost of $80 plus two other happy endings.
                      You had to be "that guy" and go there, huh?

Comment

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by synapsistheory View Post
                          You had to be "that guy" and go there, huh?
                          He wouldn’t be Axe if he didn’t

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            My vote for post of the year!

OP that's a great job on picking up a RR1 on the cheap, and nice job on the clean up.

For rust on metal parts when I want to save the finish on them I soak the parts in Kroil for a few days, and then use bronze wool soaked in Kroil to scrub the parts with a little elbow grease. Works great on blued guns and absolutely will not harm the finish.
                            Last edited by Razor; 06-28-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

lol
                              Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X