DK1 Pickup swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK1 Pickup swap

I was just curious if anyone has swapped out their EMG pickups in a DK1 to passives and what the results were? I don't mind the EMGs, but have always preferred passives (Usually Duncan).
    Thanks

Someday, I fully intend on grabbing a used DK1 and changing the EMG's to passive would also be a potential swap I'd go for.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Premise:
      I never had a guitar with EMGs
      Although I tried guitars with those from some friends, I never felt the need of that kind of pickup.
      But...why buy a guitar that you want immediately change with extra-costs??
      I’d look for one that I immediately like.

Anyway, the conversion from an active circuitry to a couple of passive ones is an easy procedure, and you can take advantage by configuring it in the way you like (humbucking split, no tone pot...ecc..)
      The fact is that there is an entire world to explore if you start looking for a couple of pickup.
      It could be almost an endless search..!!

Try to focus on what kind of sound you’d like to reach.
      In case of Duncans (just to give you an example) you can have the AlNiCo 2 , 5 (or even AlNiCo8), and the ceramic ones.
      Each of those has a different sonority.

You may like a couple of Alnico 2, with their great balanced mid-output level, very good if you search a sort of vintage “paf/old style” humbucking sound, or the classic couple of AlNiCo 5, mid/hot pickups, very versatile;
      or even go for a ceramic couple of TB6 & SH6, if you want a powerful guitar to play things like thrash or aggressive stuff in general.

Or you may find interesting even a combination of two different kind of pickups.
      I have two Ibanez with a very well balanced couple of ceramic (bridge) and AlNiCo5 (neck)

Keep also in mind that it depends of course on what amplifier you use.
      In the electric guitars, the result for a sound that you like more than another, is not only a matter of a single thing like a pickup, but it’s like a chain with more rings….

Have a good research!!
      Last edited by Luca1973; 11-18-2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

My reason for changing is: I have EMG's in my other bolt on Jackson. It's not a passive vs active thing for me.
        I want a Tone Zone/Air Norton setup to replace the ones that went in my Iceman that I let a friend buy. The TZ is a sweet sounding pickup in my short experience with it.

I don't consider a pickup change to be a full on 'modification', though, I know it is.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          I want a Tone Zone/Air Norton setup
          ...I understand...I also wanted that couple of pickups....but I went directly with an Ibanez RG655M

Tried and bought, rather than buy a USA Jackson to modify immediately, which would be also more expensive and you can't know exactly how it will sound until you do the change...

(...my opinion in choosing guitars, of course...)

Comment

Comment

I bought an SL1 that was equipped with EMG's and immediately ripped them out in favor of Duncan's. I've just never been a big fan of EMG for some reason, I just like the way the Duncan's sound. If you like a certain sound and want they guitar, go for it. It's your gear after all, if you like the sound then go with it.

Comment

Try swapping the 85 into the bridge - toejam and I agree it sounds much better!
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  Try swapping the 85 into the bridge - toejam and I agree it sounds much better!
                  Indeed! The 85 is definitely the way to go for the bridge.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try the 85 in the bridge before you pull the whole setup I love the tone zone. I hate emgs 81s to flat and midrangy for me. But I have really never tried to get a good sound with my VHT or Bogner head. I had an 81/85 before emg got big, had a friend was one of the like 7 employees at one time. I like the 85 though it’s darker and more gainy, its a great pickup in the bridge. I have a newer Dk-1 that I never have played really. I started the swap from 81-85 to 85-81 but have a soloist I love so it hasn’t been a priority. I have a tone zone/paf pro in a bolt on and it’s a great setup. Only thing is I wish it was a little tighter.

Comment

Thanks. I may try the 85 in the bridge before abandoning them altogether. EMGs have a 3 pin connector don't they? Thinking I can just swap them pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X