Scalloped necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalloped necks?

Anyone ever play a scalloped neck Jackson?

Re: Scalloped necks?

I have a Jackson with frets 12-24 scalloped. It definitely feels different. You need to be precise in your fretting with the scalloped frets. However, once you get used to it, fretting, bends, and hammer ons & pull offs feel easier and smoother. If you have a chance, check one out and see what you think. The more time I spent with mine, the more I liked it.

Comment

I played an import Charvel once with a homemade scallop job. And I've played a few of the Yngwie signature Fenders and I own a Blackmore signature Fender, too. If you are wondering about scalloped fretboards, they are different to play. One of the biggest things to get used to is the amount of pressure that you need to apply to the string. Press the string too hard and you'll go out of tune. So the fret hand will have to make some adjustments.
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I have a warmoth neck that is scalloped from the 12th fret up. I love it. However, I don't care for scalloping any lower than 12 because it makes chording a bit more difficult. As the distance between fret increases the easier it is to bend the string towards the fret board. As a result, differences in pressure can cause chords to sound off. I guess one would get use to it, but I don't see much gain for such a pain.

Comment

I've got a fully scalloped Str@ and it definately takes some getting used to. I ended up using a heavier gauge of strings on it, and it's a really cool feel, great for left hand vibrato. You can really "dig in". My BC Rich Warlock has the last 3 scalloped, and the Ibanez Jem has the last 4 done. I'd love to get my hands on a scalloped Soloist.

Comment

i have 3 axes that are fully scalloped. a fender strat,an ibanez Paul Gilbert model, and a Jackson dinky rev. i love 'em, i wish i had the balls to scallop my high end Jackson's
            "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I have one scalloed from 12-22 and it takes a little time to get used to it. It's a personal thing, would I do another? ......maybe [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Anyone ever play a scalloped neck Jackson?

[/ QUOTE ]

scalloped *neck*? That sounds awfully painful to play...

Scalloped fretboards, on the other hand, are pretty comfortable once you get used to them. As someone already said, bending, vibrato (especially vibrato on top of a bend), pull-offs, and hammer-ons are all easier and sound better on a scalloped fretboard. Furthermore, sweeping feels better on a scalloped fretboard, though it doesn't necessarily makes it easier... just feels better.

I have a Fender YJM Strat (fully scalloped), and it's a joy to play. I am used to switching between scalloped and normal guitars, so I play equally poorly either way, but I would scallop some of my guitars which have smaller frets to get that nothing-but-strings feel.

To answer your original question... no, I haven't played a a Jackson with a scalloped fretboard. But I don't think it would feel any different than my YJM Strat.

Comment

I scaloped the neck on my KV2, the second octave. It's sweet to play once you can get used to it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    but I would scallop some of my guitars which have smaller frets to get that nothing-but-strings feel.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> That's right on the nose. All of my favorite guitars have jumbo frets, so I don't really feel the fretboard anyway.(upper frets at least) </font>

Comment

I played full scalloped guitars from a friend of mine. I really liked them, but, for myself I wouldn't do it on my guitars.You know, play like a dream for leads, but for chords it's difficult at the beginning to achieve a certain level of control.
                      The vibrato on that guitars rulessssss.

So, I´ve never tasted a 12-24 scalloped, It's strange to run 3 notes per string involving non-scalloped and scalloped?
                      Ex. 10-12-14 from the bottom E runs till the 14 on the treble E

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I scaloped the neck on my KV2, the second octave. It's sweet to play once you can get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        hey , did you do that yourself? i did all of mine, but am afraid of poping a sharkie on one of my higher end ones? did you have any probs? got some pics?
                        MOSH ON
                        DAVE
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I dig the scalloped old Ibanez I have. I wish I'd have the balls to try to scallop some others as I prefer it for feel as I naturally have a lighter touch for fretting and for scalloped boards thats a good thing.

Comment

I would be really carful doing a neck with Sharkies on it. My guess is that there is a high risk of losing the marker. Dots are easy and easier to replace. You could try it on a cheap neck to see how it works out.

Comment

I have an '86 USA Bengal that has a maple/maple 22 fret neck and it's scalloped from 10 on up. When I got it a year or so ago, it needed new frets badly. They were freakin' flat. Amazingly, J Gravity Strings in St Louis was able to refret it with no problems. I imagine Sully or Kevin M could attest to the inherent difficulty of refretting a scalloped neck. It took a few hours to get used to, but after a while, I could play on it equally well as my regular necked guitars. I rarely use it so I haven't really become an expert at exploiting the advantages of scallops but sometimes I'll play some arpeggios, sweeps, or legato runs and it's noticeably cleaner and easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X