Value of a Jackson Soloist Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of a Jackson Soloist Custom

I have a chance to pick up a Jackson Soloist Custom and wanted to get the forum's opinion about price.

I know it's difficult to assess value without seeing the guitar, but the basic details are royal blue color, neck through, shark tooth inlays, original floyd rose, active EQ, and an active Sustanic pickup.

I am not familiar with the "Sustanic" pickup so if someone can explain the pro/cons, that would be great.

I currently have 2 import Jackson Dinky Reverse guitars so this would be an upgrade for me. Thanks.

Re: Value of a Jackson Soloist Custom

Is it like this one?
    If so, this is not a USA model.
    Made in Japan model.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...79508&rd=1

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, dinkyjacksonman. I have yet to see the guitar but will do so tomorrow evening. I'll also check with the owner when I talk to him.

Comment

Well, I just got a hold of the owner again. The guitar seems to have an interesting history. The owner says it was previously owned by a member in Night Ranger (he wasn't sure if it was Jack Blades or Brad Gillis). I had him take a closer look at the guitar and it actually has a Jackson Floyd Rose, and not an original Floyd Rose. The serial number is J000050, which according to the serial chart, would make this a 1984 San Dimas USA guitar.

The current owner also relocated the strap nut from the top of the body down to behind the neck (a-la Gibson SG). So, there's currently a hole where the old strap nut used to be.

Anyhow, any feedback (good or bad) about this guitar is appreciated.

Comment

a sustainiac is a neck pickup driver that, when you turn it on, you can control the sustain of the note or chord you play. ususually with a sustainiac there are other controls, like you might find on a jackson PC-1. i'm not all too sure about them, i'm sure someone will chime in though.
          sounds like a nice guitar though! especially if a guitarist from Night Ranger owned it.

Comment

If the serial number is J000050, then it's actually a 1990 Japanese-made Soloist Pro. In that guitar, the Sustainiac pickup would have been added later by the owner--they didn't come that way from the factory. I wouldn't know about the Night Ranger part--I didn't think either of those guitarists were associated with Jackson.

Comment

FWIW, I dont ever recall hearing of anyone in night ranger ever playing a Jackson guitar. Jack Blades, Brad GIllis, or Jeff Watson. I dont ever remember reading about or seeing them play Jackson/Charvel products. I remember Gillis using Strats and Watson using Gibsons. and they both played Hamers after that. Just trying to help. I guess I would want a bit more proof than that if I was buying it. I am not saying that the guitar wasnt owned by a member of Night Ranger, but I would want more proof. I may be wrong about this so dont take this as the gospel. Anyone else got any opinions on this??

Tone
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

i actually forgot about that night ranger detail before i posted...i just figured maybe one of them bought it for home-use or studio or something. but yeah, Brad was a fine tuner-less floyd equipped '62 (?) fender strat guy, and jeff had a few LPs and he had his sig. hamer with 27 frets, with a goldtop finish...

Comment

Definitely sounds like a 1990 Soloist Pro with added Sustainic... Great guitar and still a huge upgrade from what you have now. Those Soloists were just like the USA models but the said Professional on the Head Stock. Sounds like he might be blowin smoke up your ass to get more money for it. I paid $400 for mine but it was a backdoor deal on eBay... I'd say it's worth $450 to $600 depending on condition... if it is a Soloist Pro... which given the serial # I'd say it is. How much is he asking for it?

Comment

He's asking $500. I was gonna go look at that, but I guess you beat me to it, Telly! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If its not a USA and you really want a USA Custom Shop, I've got one for sale right now and I'm local to ya. See my ad in the Classifieds and send me a private message if you're interested. Or, if you get it and its real purty, maybe I can come check it out and curse you for stealing it from me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

As an aside, where do people have trouble reading the serial number charts? The Zeros are counted as part of the number, not blanks, so "J000050" would be read as "J000050", not "J50".

But as was stated before, it's a Japanese-made Soloist Pro from 1990, the 50th Professional ever, to be exact. All Professionals were/are made in Japan, and all serials that start with "J" and have 6 or more numbers are Japanese.
                      This info really needs to be added to the serial chart if it's not already there.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

brad gillis played a jackson in the "when you close your eyes" video...i think it's black, you never get a really good shot of it tho...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Thanks guys for all the feedback and info, especially the clarification between USA vs Import. Jeff300, I will probably pass now that it's almost certain that it's an import. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but just that since I already have 2 import Jacksons, I'd like to get a USA model. So, if you still want to check it out, by all means go for it!

Comment

yeah, tellyc, just make sure NOT to post in the classifieds, haha. ahem.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              FWIW, I dont ever recall hearing of anyone in night ranger ever playing a Jackson guitar.... Anyone else got any opinions on this??
                              Tone

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad Gillis has J0022 and J0023. I've never seen him pictured with them but he still owned both of them as of about 2 years ago.

J0022 is a zipper graphic-

J0023 is an explosion graphic-

Comment

Working...
                              X