Jackson Wants YOU!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Wants YOU!

Mike Kotzen asked me to get input from all you guys, how are they doing since Fender? [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson Wants YOU!

I think they are doing quite well. There are things they are doing better than ever before (Charvels), and things that they could do better (options), but on the whole, I'd say thumbs up!

Comment

I would agree with Chuck. I think there has been a drastic improvement in marketing as well.

Comment

I agree with both Chuck and Spidey. The only thing I see lacking is that there are no new USA's in the stores around here. You are lucky if you go into GC and see 1. The store in Paramus hasn't had a new one that I have seen in about a year.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

For the most part, absolutely killer. More and cooler Jackson models. The return of Charvel with the USA Standards. And - whatever you think of the man himself or the model - the EVHs are quite frankly just about the coolest freggin' thing to happen to Charvel since..., well since they stopping making the originals in San Dimas. Long live Charvel!

My only negative - and it's a big one personally - is their refusal to allow custom shop strathead orders.

I understand how it may not fit into their overall Charvel marketing plan. i.e., Keeping the stratheads as premium limited edition "halo effect" models. But that approach is VERY contrary to the history and foundation of J/C's custom shop. i.e., Being able to design and build your dream guitar, whatever your imagination can dream up.

I would ask that they seriously reconsider this approach to stratheads. And soon. IMHO, three-plus NAMM shows later, and it's now overdue.

Maybe there are approaches that could still dovetail with their "premium guitar" strategy, while allowing this. Such as...

- Allowing only a limited number of custom strathead orders each year, at a premium. 75 or 100?

- Making the strathead an "upcharge" custom shop option. Expensive enough that some would decline on price, but reasonable enough that you'll still satisfy the desperate souls like me. Blame it on the "licensing fee".

- Do a limited edition like the others, but allow some options to be selected for upcharges. Only a few options. I'm thinking like Floyd vs. vintage trem, HH vs. HSS, and three or four finishes (at least one solid and one transparent).

Anyway, those are just some ideas for a slightly different approach. I know I'm a whiny-bitch about this subject. ...But seriously. Please do it.

Again, though. They're doing a great job building on the respective brands' history and models.

Comment

i don't think i have any real issues; i really like the increased visibility in print ads, etc. i do wish that we could have stratheads and gibson shapes on custom shop orders, tho. all in all, i say good times.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="yellow">I'm happy with Fender's involvement with Jackson. Their marketing and support are intruducing Jackson to a new generation of players, which is awesome!!

The only "issue" I have is mirrored by others, the lack of Stratheads and no Gibson shapes from the Custom Shop (i.e. Firebirds etc.). I think Jackson would do well reintroducing them as a production model or even limit to a custom-only option.

Rock on.... </font>

Comment

My biggest beef is about this stupid ass MAP pricing stuff. Gibson did similar crap years ago too - you'd get the Musician's Friend catalog and it'd say "call for price" next to every guitar. That's basically the same crap with Jackson. This is just elitist bullsh*t. Why the hell can't a dealer just sell it for whatever they want? I spoke with a dealer the other day asking about prices and he is now afraid to sell guitars for less than MAP for fear of losing his deal with Jackson. Who is this scheme benefiting? Guitar Center? No, because they hardly stock any Jackson's to begin with and certainly no USA models. Heck, the guys at the GC's around here will try to talk you out of buying a Jackson.

It would be nice to see USA models in stores. In the entire Seattle area there is one new USA Jackson for sale that I know of and it is a black SL-1. We're talking about guitars in the &gt; $1500 category here. It totally phucking blows to have to order a guitar in this price range without any ability to try one out at all.

A buddy of mine wants to buy a USA Kelly but won't drop that sort of cash on a guitar he can't touch. Yeah, I know here is where someone is going to tell me that he can return it or whatever but that's a lame way to have to go about this.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Instead of Gibson guitar shapes, how about some NEW guitar shapes?
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Well they could give me a free guitar, but I don't see that happening. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I love all the new ad's that's a major improvment. I'd like to see C/S strat heads too. A retro rock star collection of all the old paintjobs and copys of all our hero's guitars from the 80's. But overall a Pretty fine job done by fender
                    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Fender should have Jackson drop the Dinky so we can go back to the old rule - Jacksons are neck through, Charvels are bolt on.

Seriously, I think Fender's doing a great job with J/C. Basically, Jackson was on the way out and Charvel was all but forgotten, and they've really turned that around. Now there's a ton of buzz for both brands.

Now that they've got their Big Dog endorsement deal with EVH they need to run ESP out of town and pry those LTDs out of the hands of today's guitarists. I was looking through the Ozzfest issue of Guitar World and no joke, every band for the first 20 pages had an LTD.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

I'll never buy another Jackson again.
                        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

So far so good from me...I think it's been a definite improvement from Akai...the only thing that sucks to me is the 15% price increase [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                          RIP Dime

Comment

I have seen a difference in quality and fit and finish. I don't think it was horrible before, but I've had minor issues with fret work on pre Fender Jacksons. I've seen improvement here on new Jacksons.

I also think they are doing great with Jackson due to the recent new devolpments with Charvel and Jackson.

I'm happy.

Jim
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I'm SERIOUSLY impressed, first of all, that they are seeking our input. Most companies don't.

CHARVEL
                              I think that the rebirth of Charvel with the EVH coup is brilliant. The absolute best move they could've made. It's by far the most exciting thing to happen in the world of guitars since the '80s hair-band hey days, when exciting things seemed to happen all the time.

I also really like the other Charvel models, including, importantly, a 1H model, and I think that focusing on the neck feel, playing up the San Dimas angle, getting the original P.O. Box, etc., are more smart moves. I agree with the poster above who asked for a way to get Strat-head Charvels. I think that should be an option. There are many ways to make it fit the marketing scheme, but the bottom line is, just charge more $, and everyone should be happy (company makes $, fans get dream guitars). I also think you should use the neck plate that many current Strats use with the one corner lopped off, as it is a very minor change that greatly enhances upper fret access. (I'd really like to see countersunk screws in a contoured heel, a la Ibanez, but I realize that would be seen as traitorous by some)

JACKSON
                              I don't like the 15% price increase. I do like the increased visibility. Getting the Rhoads into Zakk's hands with guitar magazine pics was huge. There aren't many (any?) guitar heroes today with his broad popularity and name recognition. Get Zakk to sign on for a signature model Jackson, and you'll be doing very well. I also like the "Original Sin" marketing angle, which emphasizes Jackson's bad boy image. I'm relieved that FMIC is recognizing and capitalizing on Jackson's strengths, instead of trying to dilute it into a generic, broad-market product. You've already got the all-American Fender brand for the general public. Let Jackson be the dark horse.

I would like to see a huge expansion of the Custom Shop Archive on the Jackson web site (cheap, easy way to please fans, build brand recognition, showcase Jackson's accomplishments, etc.), along with a "build your Jackson" web applet (that is completely cross-platform compatible for Mac users, etc. - Macromedia Flash seems to work well) that lets users see, at a minimum, every available finish applied to every available body style. The car companies have been doing this for a long time. It's entirely feasible.

Model-wise, I'd still like to see a new USA archtop Soloist with a Floyd. Either simply reintroduce the early '90s Jackson Soloist Archtop Professional (zero design cost) as a USA model, or revamp the SLATQH to take a Floyd (very low design cost). I like 22 frets, but everyone else likes 24, so you're probably better off dusting off the Archtop Pro design. I'll still buy one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd also like to see a 1H version of the SL2H. Same guitar, just route it for 1H, 1 vol, and either charge a bit less or upgrade it to an EMG to keep the price the same.

The poster above was right about having few USA Jacksons in stores. It's true where I live. A Guitar Center salesman in Minneapolis told me that to get any USA Jackson, it would be the same as ordering a Custom Shop, and I'd have to wait a year. Meanwhile, he's trying to push PRS. Wonder how many people he's misinformed?

Overall, you're doing a fantastic job, and I'm very pleased and excited. I was very worried when I heard FMIC bought Jackson. Guess I didn't need to be. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Working...
                              X