Unbelievable Score! SD Rhoads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievable Score! SD Rhoads!

Now, I never get lucky in the unending quest for vintage C/Js in pawn shops and music stores. But yesterday, a last minute choice to stop into my local music store paid off BIG TIME! I took my daughter to a doc's appointment yesterday; after spending the previous night in the emergency room suspecting my 9 year old girl had apendicitis. Thankfully, it's only a viral infection. Anyway, I had the option of stopping into Swing City Music for a minute or heading home right away. I stopped in and did my usual scan of rack gear, used stuff, keyboard amps, etc. On the "used" wall, I saw the same two C/Js that have been up there for a year or so. A black neck-thru import Charvel (a beater for 700 bucks) or a purple Dinky Reverse. But then I noticed a natural finish Rhoads hanging up there. It had a rosewood board, sharkies, and no binding and it looked like a bolt-on from 20 feet away. I asked to look at it and I was shocked to see that it was a neck-thru. Then I saw the "made in USA" which was UNDER the Jackson logo! It had a black Kahler, a white Duncan 59 in the bridge and a black Duncan in the neck. The bad thing is that the previous owner stripped the original red finish off it and left it natural, putting a glossy clear coat over the body. Oh, and the wordt part....he sanded the 22nd fret down eliminating the serial number completely. The frets are small but have no fret wear. The points on the wings are fully intact and not bashed up. The electronics appear to be original. Get this! It was there on consignment for........$250. Yes, you read that right. I have dealt with this store since I was in high school and know the owners pretty well so I ask the manager to call the owner of the guitar and ask him what the serial is. He does but can only leave a message. Heck, even if I can't figure out the serial #, I know for certain that it's a San Dimas Rhoads. The thing I found odd was that it does not have neck or headstock binding and it appears that it never did. The fretboard is rosewood and it has sharkfins instead of dots. I always thought that the Rhoads made in SD were either Custom (ebony, bound, fins) or student (rosewood, not bound, dots).

Anyway, it looks to be in excellent condition even though it's now a natural finish and it does have Duncans and apparently original electronics. I've opened every conceivable cavity (there is none on the back obviously) and can't find any writing. Can any of the really knowledgable vintage Jackson guys (Joe, Jim Shine, Chuck, Hoss, Sully, Newc, etc) give me any tips to maybe identifying a year on this one? I am thinking either '83 or '84 but that's only a guess. Are there any parameters regarding fret size, primer type, type or color of wires used, etc that can narrow it down to a particular year?
    My guess is that it was stolen and the thief sanded it down and removed the serial for that reason. I'll shoot some pics in a little while.
    But that's not the end of the story....Of course, I asked if it came with a case and Art, the manager said no. But, he said, "I've got a bunch of Jackson cases, brand new, in the back that I need to get rid of." So he goes to the back room and starts calling out cases and what guitars that they are made for. He calls out a Rhoads Pro case, 3 King V cases, and 2 others that would fit maybe a stealth, fusion, dinky, or maybe a soloist. He says make me an offer for all of the cases and they're yours. So after a few minutes of bartering, he accepts my offer for all 6. Hell, I need to replace a few of my cases and whatever I don't need, I'll offer to JCF'ers at a mega low price.

In the end, the choice I made to stop in to that music store ended up costing me a little over $400. I don't know what I'll do with the Rhoads yet. Maybe a refin is in order. Maybe I should try and paint it myself. It is definitely in the condition that refinning it would make it look like a new guitar with minimal work. Now, I can actually say that I went into a music store and fell into a killer San Dimas Rhoads. Pics to come in a little while. I'd welcome any help in identifying this guitar.

Re: Unbelievable Score! SD Rhoads!

No seral # on the fretboard end?
    Made in U.S.A. logo under Jackson logo..
    It sounds like 85?
    Any pics?

Comment

Can you tell if maple neck blank is 3 pieces or 1? Another item that can help you tell if it is made pre-early-mid 1984 is the size of the pickgaurd, but the difference is so small you can't tell from pics. In my experience they all have vintage Fender sized fretwire.

If the electronics are stock, what are the pot dates? If they are not dated, then that helps determine an era as well. What do the screws that hold the jack cup look like? Can you see remnants of the work order number in the Kahler route?

Whatever the case, post some pics!

Comment

The pot codes are covered by solder. This is my 1st attempt at posting pics on the new board so here goes nothin'... Oh, I took a ton of pics so if someone really thinks they might be better helped by seeing all 16 pics I shot, I'll email them to whoever....Jim....hint hint.

It has creme colored pup rings and these pics are with the trem pulled. No writing is visible in any cavities. The primer is an off-white color. Quite a bit of red overspray and in the control cav, it looks like black shielding paint was sprayed. I have more pics. Do you want to see them posted here?

Comment

Jim, Upon closer inspection, the pots may not have the usual codes that I am accustomed to seeing, or not as long of codes anyway. One pot does have a "5" on it but it doesn't appear to have much more than that. I would probably have it rewired (with all of the same wire and electronics, if possible) and if so, I'll try and get whatever numbers are on the pots after they are cleaned off.
          The jack is held in with round, half-sphere headed screws, phillips style. I don't know what was commonly used but these are essentially dome shaped. Here's something....the vol/tone knobs don't have the SD allen style set screw. Either the screws were changed or I am wrong about when the allen style were used for knobs. Here's a pic of the jack area. Oh, here's something else....the neck is obviously maple but it is one solid piece from the headstock thru the body. BUT, the last 2 inches of the headstock are a separate piece of wood, but it is only that one small triangle at the tip of the head that is separate from the one piece neck thru the bod. Does that tell me anything?

Comment

My email is [email protected] if you want to send me more.

The one piece maple neck automatically tells me it is no earlier than December 1984/January 1985. I have seen that added piece on the head on and off on the one pieces. Mostly in mid-late 85 though. The truss rod cover looks like the type we see after spring 1985.

So, with those specs I would say along with the Kahler the guitar was likely made between Spring 1985-very early 1986. maybe someone else sees something that narrows it down more. I dig the rosewood with fins.

Comment

Very killer score bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is friggin cooool!

Comment

congrats Tom - that looks sweet!
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I would agree with Jim [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  He has a very sharp eye
                  Great score congrats [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I just thought of another ID item. Does the pickup routes have ground screws or atleast a hole from where they may have been?

Comment

Well done, you've joined the ranks of the lucky who have scored great deals. Being that it has sharks and no binding at all I'd say it was Rhoads Custom, just that somone oredered it that way, not the usual Custom or Student config. The joys of a cutsom ordered guitar.

Comment

sh1t, dude, even if you never find out what it is or it turns out it's actually a Rhoads Pro or something, I'll happily give you what you paid for it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What a steal. Congrats.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Far out [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Fins on rosewood indicates it's a Custom Shop. Students had dots/rosewood no binding, Customs had fins/ebony/binding.
                          One-piece neck/head - the JCF Rhoads is like that, and they won't do it anymore IIRC.

Black "shielding" is actually primer. Jackson used to do one or two coats of black basecoat to hide the woodgrain faster (takes fewer coats of black) and then go over it with a buttload of white primer (makes bright colors sharper).

I'm sitting here wondering how they painted the guitars without painting the pickups or routes, and then it just hit me - they made the bodies - start to finish - THEN cut for pickups, and then hit the cavities with black primer (using the pickup template as a mask probably). This is why you don't see clearcoat or paint overspray in matte black cavities. My old SD Soloist (J0419) was originally Red but had the matte black in the cavities, but 90's models have both body paint AND clearcoat in the cavities.
                          Interesting.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's a great deal. With a sanded s/n and stripped paint I'd be a bit concerned that it was stolen at some point.

Comment

My Jan 1985 Rhoads USA (RR1050) has a single piece neck (with a bit added to the headstock). The pickup routs were also glossy black, as wa the body, so that doesnt match up with Newc's theory.
                              --
                              Regards,
                              Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X