SL2MAH....Well, kinda I guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2MAH....Well, kinda I guess

I ordered my SL2MAH from Scott at Vwall Guitars about a month or so ago. Here is the Last Thread . I expected to wait 4 or 5 months for it to come in. When Scott called me to tell me it was going to be there in a week, I was surprised....So was he. After playing it a few times, I was surprised at how “hot” the Duncan’s were compared to my SLATQ, and how much more highs it had. The more I played it, the more difference in tone I saw between the two....And the more I liked it. Both are Mahogany neck & body w/ a maple top. The only difference was the Floyd.

After about 2 days I was starting to get suspicious. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] So, I called Scott. His paperwork said SL2MAH 7-10-04, and so did the hang tag. We talked about the pups being hotter & how good it played. So, I popped off the TR cover to find a MAPLE neck. And I looked at some bare areas in the trem cavity, which looks like it may be MAHOGANY. Trans Black is one of the few colors that don’t show the wood grain under the finish, so you can’t tell by just looking at it what wood it is. Scott didn't catch it because the neck didn't need adjusted.

Scott called Jackson, they told him it was apparently a factory mistake. It is either a plain old SL2H that was labled wrong....Or, an SL2 with a maple neck & MAH body. Scott told me I could send it back for a full refund. Or, I could send it back, and Jackson will make an actual SL2MAH as a replacement (4 or 5 months wait). Or, I could keep it, and the price would be adjusted. He just wanted me to be happy with my purchase.

This guitar plays amazing! I hate to send it back.... So, I’m gonna keep it. Scott made me a great deal on it to make up for the trouble & all. He has been great to work with, and felt bad about the mix up. I’m gonna take a close look at the body wood to see if its actually mahogany....which would be way cool! If it ends up being a plain SL2H, then somebody out there is sportin’ a SL2MAH with a hang tag that says SL2H.

Bottom line is….I’m happy with it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Re: SL2MAH....Well, kinda I guess

Right on Doug... if you find a guitar you like these days, keep it! Quality is so hit or miss it seems that when you find a player you keep it! It's probably mahogany with a maple cap if it sounds so good.

Comment

How did the thought of taking off the truss rod cover even come into your head? That is the LAST place I would honestly think of looking to try to identify anything. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If it truly is a maple neck going through a mahogany guitar, that's something special, I think. How many of THOSE types of Soloist exist? I think it's the first I'VE personally heard of! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Got any pictures of the back of the body?

Comment

I would say bummer, but it sounds like you may have unique piece there. Let us know after you investigate further.

Jim
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I think it sucks no matter you love the guitar or not because it is a very simple mistake and if this was someone else who doesn't know well about what he got, he would believe it was a SL2MAH and never finds out it is a SL2H.

I have to say this kind of things should not happen especially spending this much money.

Comment

Sounds like Jackson knew about the mixup before they shipped it. Thats not cool. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

I feel for Scott here too.

Good thing you like it. Or is it that you dont want to wait?

I'm waiting for an SLS myself. Was told 3 months, we're going on seven. I wish I would have known it would be this long because I would have ordered a Custom Shop.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Good thing you like it. Or is it that you dont want to wait?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's true...I don't wanna wait. But who does? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] The main thing here is I really like how this guitar plays & sounds! It may be a unique guitar...it may not. At this point I really don't care to be honest. Not that I'm mad...quite the opposite actually.

Yea, this should never have happened, but I have seen Jackson do dumber things back in the AMIC days. I heard horror stories from more than one dealer about screw ups you wouldnt believe...or maybe would. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I had my chance to return it....decided not to.
              >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Mahohgany body with maple neck is my favorite wood composition! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] With a thin (or no) maple cap on the body it delivers very nice sounds - at least to my ears [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I would definiteley keep the guitar, because there's only one regular Jackson model (the PC-1) with these woods.

If I knew that I would get the same wood composition if I ordered an SL2H-MAH I would do it! You lucky guy, you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well if you are happy with it, i'd also keep it. Thats main thing. I know its not nice feeling when you have waited long for new guitar, and when the time comes its not what you expected. Iv had this thing also with one guitar.

But its nice to hear that dealer is in your side [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] post some more pics.

Comment

Oh wait: You said you don't know if the body is mahogany... I hope it is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The strong Highs you were hearing are those JBs in the bridge, they have alot of High/Mids, I don`t care for them myself. my Custom 1993 soloist Archtop has a mahogany body-maple neck thru and quilted maple cap.I love the sound. I also have a 1986 Hamer Firbird 2 with a mahogany body and set maple neck. both have great sounds. I wouldn`t put a JB in the bridge of anything, inless you like a ton of high/mids. I liie guitars for metal that at least have the body mahogany, all of the guitar mahogany would be even better like my 1993 Hamer Special in natural mahogany with P-90s. The P-90s will be changed to EMG sized P-90s soon. Congrats man-Jack.

Comment

Working...
                      X