My new Shannon Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Shannon Soloist

Hi I Bought a Black 1998 Shannon Soloist yesterday, and i was wondering what is the difference between a Shannon and a reguler SL1?
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Re: My new Shannon Soloist

Biggest difference would be the non recessed trem.
    Regular SL1 has recessed trem.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Biggest difference would be the non recessed trem.
      Regular SL1 has recessed trem.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does that affect the guitar?
      does it affect the tone?
      Guitars:
      BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

I believe not.
        It is more of preference that you like non recessed or recessed.
        I had a Shannon and I wish to get one again in the future.

Also some other diferences are such as bindings over the frets and the bridge pickup.

Comment

Congrats! Maybe pics some day? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Congrats! Maybe pics some day? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure im hoping to get some up later. if i can get my camera to work...
            Guitars:
            BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I believe not.
              It is more of preference that you like non recessed or recessed.
              I had a Shannon and I wish to get one again in the future.

Also some other diferences are such as bindings over the frets and the bridge pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Pickup type is the bridge one? I thought it was a JB..
              Guitars:
              BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

<font color="yellow">The stock pickup in a Shannon is a Duncan Pearly Gates....I also have a black Shannon....they kick much ass [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I actually prefer the surface mount Floyds....as I grew up playing the beast, the Les Paul Custom for YEARS and YEARS (poor thing shows it too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). The picking angle is very similar between the Paul's TOM and the surface Floyd to me...but it is a preference thing I guess in the end [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

well that explains it... it sounds very different from my mahogany Ibanez with JB in bridge.

i acttually think it sounds too grainy, metallic and bright, but maybe that could be due to the strings being new ones(new strings usually sound bad the first day or so), or so i hope cause its like 5 times more worth than the Ibanez...

plus the guitar needs some serious adjustment.

when playing power chords it actually doesnt sound as good as my Mahogany guitar, sounds tinny, and doesnt have any bottom end punch...

have you ever experienced tha same thing?

BTW im gonna have it adjusted and refitted with .010's on tuesday.
                  then im sure its gonna kick ass!!

ive heard some people complaining about the pearly Gates being too bright and thin, so maybe i should replace it with a JB. have you kept the PG's?
                  Guitars:
                  BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

<font color="yellow">I honestly have no issues or complaints with my Shannon at all [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

It set up really well (less than 1.0mm), doesn't fret out, and I kinda enjoy the PAF....kinda like a PAF but with more balls and bite [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I use .009's with all my guitars, which again is personal preference.

I chased my Shannon for over a year before I finally had the chance to buy it, and there is no way it is ever leaving me, regardless of the offer for it [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Shannon's are just special....at least that is the general consensus around here. </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      <font color="yellow">I honestly have no issues or complaints with my Shannon at all [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

It set up really well (less than 1.0mm), doesn't fret out, and I kinda enjoy the PAF....kinda like a PAF but with more balls and bite [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I use .009's with all my guitars, which again is personal preference.

I chased my Shannon for over a year before I finally had the chance to buy it, and there is no way it is ever leaving me, regardless of the offer for it [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Shannon's are just special....at least that is the general consensus around here. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

well im gonna have it adjusted and wait and see how it sounds... i really hope its the strings...

apart from the issues ive written(and hope to get corrected very soon) the guitar is SUPER NICE [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                      its my first US jackson(and my first real high end guitar for that matter), and ive been wanting one for like two years.
                      so i hope it works out.
                      i paid 7000 danish crowns for it(about $1130), and have put me in a debt, that at my current income will take me over a year to pay off(i have a lot of expences) [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

maybe i should just go for a JB anyway.. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
                      Guitars:
                      BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

Congrats on your Shannon!

Another difference is the neck heel is not contoured like the new ones. No complaints with my shannon either.

EJ

Comment

When I had a Shannon, I never liked the bridge pickup.
                          I thought it was weak.Even other pickups(middle and neck).
                          If I ever get one of these guitars again, I would probably change them with hotter pickups such as Distortion and Hotrails or EMGs.
                          Also mine was set up badly and it didn't play and sound well.
                          I am sure after you take it to have a pro set up, it will play and sound much better.
                          Setup has a lot to do with sound and playability.

Comment

Congrats on the Shannon. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I have never played one, but I hear that they are killer guitars.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              When I had a Shannon, I never liked the bridge pickup.
                              I thought it was weak.Even other pickups(middle and neck).
                              If I ever get one of these guitars again, I would probably change them with hotter pickups such as Distortion and Hotrails or EMGs.
                              Also mine was set up badly and it didn't play and sound well.
                              I am sure after you take it to have a pro set up, it will play and sound much better.
                              Setup has a lot to do with sound and playability.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the bridge pickup seem to be a pearly gates one.
                              once ive replaced it with a JB, and have it adjusted, im sure it will be a killer Axe [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              Guitars:
                              BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

Working...
                              X