My new Shannon Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new Shannon Soloist

<font color="yellow"> Change out the hardware....not a biggie...

I think somebody did have/has a Shannon in the gallery with gold hardware, just can't remember who [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

that would be Mark, according to the Gallery. Although, the owners and guitars don't always match, what with all the gassing &amp; changing of hands that goes on around these parts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Damn ugly guitar though, innit? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      Hail yesterday

Comment

i know that a change would be no big deal but i use to keep my guitars as original as possible
        even more if it´s sth like a shannon-soloist
        let´s see, maybe one day...i do it though
        andy

Comment

Here's my contribution.

Comment

Brett, that is f**ing insane!!
            Wow man.
            Cool beyond belief.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I always love that picture. You'll probably never ever see a white and a slime green Shannon together in the same picture from the same owner unless you're looking at Brett's website, let alone four of the different Shannon paint schemes.

Brett, a quick question for you. I only just noticed your white Shannon has black hardware instead of chrome. Knowing you, it's obviously minty-mint and completely stock. So that leads me to assume the two white Shannons had black hardware. What do you know about this?

General question for everybody: What other guitars (other than Jacksons) have binding over the frets (binding nibs) like the Shannons? I LOVE how it looks but I have honestly NEVER EVER seen another guitar that has this little feature.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                The king of Shannon guitar collector has returned.
                [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Binding over the frets was the norm in the 80's custom pieces. Now unless they do a special run, custom shop only [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]. That is one of the features I look for when buying a guitar. I love binding over the fret ends.

EJ

Comment

It's gonna be hell (or at least a lot of money [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) if I have to have my Shannon refretted since I play her like crazy lately. Maybe I'd get stainless steel frets installed or something. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Or titanium, if there's such a thing... it'd be almost indestructible. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      It's gonna be hell (or at least a lot of money [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) if I have to have my Shannon refretted since I play her like crazy lately. Maybe I'd get stainless steel frets installed or something. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Or titanium, if there's such a thing... it'd be almost indestructible. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Look for guys who specialize in vintage Gibson refrets. They pay attention to the nibs. My Rising Sun was refretted in 1990 and nobody can tell it was redone. The nibs were perfectly preserved. I guess he paid $200 for the job back then. Today it will probably be around $300-400.

Comment

Holy mother of crap! Two of those refrets and I could buy another Shannon at the same price I paid for mine. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Vintage Gibson refretters? They probably wouldn't want to touch a 1998 Jackson Soloist... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Hmm, sounds good, nice that they preserve the binding nibs. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Alright, so ARE there such things as titanium frets? I can't believe I've never thought about titanium as fretwire material before. Usually it's what, nickel-coated steel or something? If not, I could go for a stainless steel refret. But, this won't be for a LONG time, hopefully. I'm literally taking this guitar to the grave with me, so yeah. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Take all the frets out and use it as fretless guitar.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ooooh, the very first fretless Shannon. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No need to bend notes any more... I can just slide my hand up the neck to raise the pitch. No need to dive-bomb on the trem any more... I can just slide down. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

that would be cool: binding nibs on a fretless guitar... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                they provide you from falling of the board while bending, he [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                ah i forgot, you don´t bend anymore then

but if fretless once
                                maybe you should be ready to think about a fingerboardchange [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                                do something really special maybe titanium instead of ebony or sth [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                                i could imagine a fboard made of glass, but it would probably shatter durung the "summer neck shift" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                                i´d really like to hear how a guitar like that sounds
                                best luck NOTP [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X