Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a replacement pickup for my shannon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a replacement pickup for my shannon.

im gonna peplace the Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" Bridge PU on my new Shannon Soloist, and having good experiences with the JB im thinking about getting one.

But how will it work in such a bright sounding guitar?

what would you guys recommend?

what about
    SD invader, Bill Lawrence L-500, Dimarzio Evolution, Dimarzio ToneZone, Dimarzio X2N, SD full shred, SD Duncan Custum, Dimarzio Super Distortion, SD Distorion...

im looking for a pickup thats versatile and can provide both good chunky rythm and wailing leads.
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Re: Recommend me a replacement pickup for my shannon.

I love Duncan Customs in most axes but if it's a little bright I'll use a 59'!!

Comment

A Dunk'n Cuss'em should work great in a bright guitar, as I find it to be fairly warm (dark) compared to other models (JB, Distortion, Evo, 59, etc)

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had a EMG 81 in my soloist and really dug it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          im gonna peplace the Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" Bridge PU on my new Shannon Soloist, and having good experiences with the JB im thinking about getting one.

But how will it work in such a bright sounding guitar?

what would you guys recommend?

what about
          SD invader, Bill Lawrence L-500, Dimarzio Evolution, Dimarzio ToneZone, Dimarzio X2N, SD full shred, SD Duncan Custum, Dimarzio Super Distortion, SD Distorion...

im looking for a pickup thats versatile and can provide both good chunky rythm and wailing leads.

[/ QUOTE ]

JB would be way too bright IMHO. I presume, that you dont want active PU, bc you dont want to change whole PU's to actives, right?

Experience with these:

Invader: If you play grinding death metal rythm it would be ideal.

Evolution: Bright, attack and hot. Still can get good clean crisp sounds. And good for rythm and lead. One of my favourits.

ToneZone: Has this unique sounding, round midle sounding, good for rythm ex. if you dig P.Gilberts sound?

X2N: Same as Invader, but hotter = no clean sound at all. Some bodys dig, but i do not. Thin sounding IMHO.

DM Super Distortion: Great rythm and lead pickup, but not such great clean, but NOT bad. Great pickup!

Still i love EMG 81/85 combination the best [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Good luck with the hunt!

Comment

I feel like an ass. I replied with pickup suggestions in your other Shannon thread since you had asked there, and I hadn't seen this topic yet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Meh. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

APC
              That's what I have been hearing from some members.
              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

...Including myself. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If I weren't so lazy (and waiting on MichaelMadeja [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), I'd have them and already given them a lengthy review by now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

OK so after asking on several boards, and after reading countless reviews on harmony central, ive boiled it down to this:

Duncan Custum

and

Dimarzio Tone Zone

im leaning mostly towards the Duncan cause people tell me its a bit like the JB.

what do u guys think?
                  Guitars:
                  BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

Either would be fine. If you don't like one, swap it for the other. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Changing pickups is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to experiment with your sound. But if you do want the JB, why not just get the JB?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Either would be fine. If you don't like one, swap it for the other. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Changing pickups is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to experiment with your sound. But if you do want the JB, why not just get the JB?

[/ QUOTE ]

well ive been told that the JB is too bright for a guitar made of bright sounding wood... i really love the JB, but i have one in my mahogany Ibanez, and im thinking i should try a new sound maybe...

about the tone zone:
                      isnt it a real classic shredders PU?
                      is it versatile enough for bluesy stuff too?
                      Guitars:
                      BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

a thing i really like about the JB is that it sounds amazing both clean and high gain, plus its harmonics are
                        great..

how does the tone zone sound clean?
                        Guitars:
                        BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

The thing is if I say "yes" to your questions, you will immediately run out and buy it. If I say "no", you may ditch the Tone Zone entirely. So I will say that the pickup will be whatever you make of it. I practice fingerstyle on my guitars loaded with EMGs, Duncans, and DiMarzios, and I sometimes play riffs on my acoustic guitars meant to be used with distortion. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i dunno..
                            i guess ill have to try them, but im not sure that the "swap if you dont like" rule aplies were i live...

which one would you prefer? and why? for what styles?
                            Guitars:
                            BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              a thing i really like about the JB is that it sounds amazing both clean and high gain, plus its harmonics are
                              great..

how does the tone zone sound clean?

[/ QUOTE ]

It sound great! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Still i think you would be happy with ether ToneZone, SD custom or JB if you like it? Cant really get worse [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X