Action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action?

what string height do you think is optimal for a soloist?
    doesnt having it really low have a negative effect on the tone?
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Re: Action?

Lower action...more prone to buzzing. Higher action tends to have "better" tone and sustain.

Comment

According to Kevin Easton, Jackson recommends 1.5MM @ the 12th fret.

Comment

I've lately grown very accustomed to having higher action which really helps in that I have such an aggressive attack that if my action were as low as I used to have it, I would get insane fret buzzing constantly. So, my Soloist has slightly higher action but still comfortable enough to play. But, I haven't noticed a real increase in tone or sustain.

Comment

String tone in regard to string height is all a matter of personal preference. While ham-fisting low action will result in buzz, high action doesn't generally offer the same ease of movement, but you can really beat the strings without buzz.

Rather than follow measurements and feeler gages, set it where it's comfy for you and gives the tone you want.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The lower the better.Especially if you want to fly around the fretboard.

Comment

As lower as you can without buzz but the sound, one time this guy who owns tons of vintage guitars told me I set my strings way too low.
              He said the best tone you get is when you set the strings much higher than you prefer.
              I don'know about it.I guess I am too young.
              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, "best" and "better" refers to the actual unimpeded vibration of the string, not so much "Santana vs Guy-That-Just-Started-Playing".
                With really low action you can't really nail the string or else the wide elliptical pattern of a harder hit will cause the string to grind out on the frets. If you're going for SRV (low gain bluesy rock, Jazzy type cleans), raise the strings up, but if you wanna shred (ultra-high gain and blazing fast runs), then you will not have to fret as hard or hit the strings as hard as you would with a Bluesy, SRV-type amp setting.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

<font color="yellow">I actually prefer stupid low action on my guitars.....I'm lazy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My Les Paul has the lowest action of ANY guitar I've ever played. It is way less than 1mm along the fretboard, and it doesn't choke out or buzz [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] I don't know how or why it is that way...but damn...it is a player [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Shannon is set up for just a hair under 1mm and it also plays great and doesn't fret out or choke up on me.....definitely a player also.

I have to have some work done to my Jackson Strat and Reverse Head Soloist....and I'm sure they will be comparable when complete [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Now...if the good Mr Easton and Sully can get my JCF-02 Big Red into the 1mm realm....life is gonna be really good for me [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Sam, are we getting a set up by Easton or Jackson factory before getting ours?
                    I am wonderng.

Comment

<font color="yellow">Toru...yes....as far as I know....that is a standard procedure from KevinE on all his guitars (custom set-ups your way, like Burger King, only better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

It actually states on there that guitars over X$ get free shipping, but I don't think that will apply to the Big Red's [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] due to their size (it is gonna dwarf my scrawny ass [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).

I imagine soon we'll be getting the notice on shipping price, shipping address, and set-up preference for them......I can't wait to plug that baby in.....I'll probably stare at it when I first open the case for a few minutes [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] by it I'm sure [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

</font>

Comment

I see.
                        Sounds good to me!
                        I didn't realize about free shipping thing until you mentioned.... so true... I already paid my shipping fee of $40.
                        [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I see.
                          I already paid my shipping fee of $40.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow"> [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I asked Kevin how much shipping was and he said he didn't know yet [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img].....it would have been much easier to pay it with my last payment [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]It seems trivial and mundane, but it is inconvenient as Hell to me to call Kevin, pray he is there, and make another CC payment for shipping [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

I think Jackson has a standard spec of their guitars when they leave the factory...I want to say they are 1.5mm at the 12th fret standard, but I may be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]....

I think I am just frustrated like the other YCE buyers, but in all fairness to the Administration and several other "key players" including KevinE, but they have all done a Hell of a job with Big Red for the JCF [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

I use Dunlop Jazz III picks. I place it under the 16th fret and adjust the action to where the pick just falls out at this fret. Then I raise them a bit.
                            My action is pretty high but I have learned to prefer it that way. I can still play fast (240 bpm) so I know you can learn to play fast even with increased string heigth. It just takes stronger fingers.

The big thing about increased string heigth is you can get more spring action between your fingers and the frets and the string. So I find I can get better arpeggios with a higher string action because the way I play arpeggios is I actually tap them with my left hand and float the pick over the strings to get the remainder of the sound.
                            If the strings are too low I don't get the spring action back up against my fingers after I tap the string down to the fret. The up action propels my fingers up faster so I can get to the next note faster.
                            A very subtle thing and maybe its just personal preference but Jason Becker once made a comment that he preferred a higher action than most players but I can't remember exactly why.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I prefer it as low as possible without buzzing. Sometimes I'll even put up wit a little bit of buzzing if necessary. I like it low.

Comment

Working...
                              X