New/Used Lefty PC1 Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/Used Lefty PC1 Commentary

I finally got my hands on my new used PC1 on Sunday. I think I've played it enough to comment on it. I don't have the ability to take pictures of it(I'm in res), but here's the bay auction I won it in: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

The only other guitar I have for comparison with me is a Carvin dc400. It's neckthrough, 24 frets, ebony board, mahogony body w/maple top, maple/koa neck, fixed bridge, active electronics. It has a jb in the bridge and an air norton in the neck. On to the comparison...

The Good: The PC1 has significantly more sustain, despite what people say about bolt on/floyd guitars. On that note, the floyd stays in perfect tune as it should. I was able to set the action lower on the PC1 than the Carvin.

The Neutral: I didn't like the neck at first, it feels round than the carvin's. After almost a week of playing it I think I've gotten used to it though. I don't really care about the unfinished vs finished neck issue, so it doesn't really affect my opinion of the guitar. I'm not huge on maple finger boards, but again, it isn't really an issue, and it looks nice. The PC1 has a sustainer pickup, which I have yet to find a use for, but it's fun to play with. The PC1 has no fret markers, but I've already gotten used to it. The PC1 doesn't sound as good as my Carvin unplugged, but that doesn't necessarily matter too much.

The Bad: I find the heel to be huge. I don't have large hands, and it makes upper fret access difficult. The neck pickup(sustainer) sounds weak, and terrible. The middle pickup(hs2) isn't much better. The super 3 in the bridge is ok, but not really what I'm looking for. When I have the time/money I'll probably replace it.

Conclusion: Good left handed 24 fret guitars with floyds are not that common, and Carvin seems unwilling to do them. I'd been looking on ebay for months trying to find the right guitar for the right price. Living in Canada made it more difficult, since some people won't ship there, and I have to pay absurd brokerage fees. When I stumbled on this guitar, everything seemed to fit, and no one bid against me.

This is an extremely nice guitar. The build quality is top notch, the playability is awesome. While it won't replace my Carvin, the floyd adds a new dimension to my playing. All I really want to change are the bridge and middle pickups. I could use some suggestions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .

Edit: Missed a couple of minor things. The PC1 is really heavy. It has a surprisingly thick body, and I can feel it. The headstock is also ass ugly, but the awesome looking body makes up for it.
Working...
X