Just got a SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a SL2H

Hi everyone, new member here with my first post. I picked up a Soloist SL2H yesterday for a real good price and played it last night through my set-up for about an hour. Two things I noticed - the action is higher than I expected (much higher than my Model 6) and it doesn't sound as "ballsy" as I expected (as compared to the 6 and my Wolfgang). Now, I only played it for an hour last night and will definitely play it some more tonight and will take it to the shop for a set-up. But I was expecting this thing to be a newer and better version of my trusty Model 6. I was expecting to be blown away by it but I'm already thinking of selling it. Any thoughts, comments, etc.?
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Re: Just got a SL2H

First, you can lower the action...You should be able to get the action so low it's sick! Second, What pups do you have in the model 6? If you have the original pups, they used the active mid-boost circuit and that would explain that. You can change the pups in the SL2H to something more to your liking, it seems to be the first thing most people change when they buy a new guitar.

Comment

Give it some time, and get acquinted with it. I have a Trans Black one and it is my #1 player. You should be able to set the action crazy low if you like it like that. (mine is pretty low but I've actually raised it from when I got it back from my set up guy.) I have a model 6 as well and the active pickups make it sound ballsier. do you have the SD JB TB4 in there that comes stock with it. Mine sounds great, but I go for that Satriani,Ratt, VH eighties brown type of sound. You've got a million pick ups to choose from if you don't like how it sounds. Play it for a while, they're called soloists for a good reason, you can really shred on them.
      Just my 2 cents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Yea, just like everyone is saying. I'd set the action to where you want it, then adjust the pickup height, which can be more difficult, because if you get them to close you can have the magnetic's bouncing around. If you're still not satisfied, then go with a different pickup. Start with the bridge position first to get an idea. The SL2H has some great tone wood, because of the Alder wings and maple center (neck). I think once your action is right and if you have to change the pickups, you'll never put the guitar down. My many, many other guitars are sitting idle while I just can't put my SL down for a second. My SL is 3 weeks new. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Congrats! And welcome to JCF!

Id say that you take it to a tech, so after that you know how low it can be, and maybe you haveto raise action after set-up? Who knows. But first set-up IMHO should come from a tech, when getting a new guitar.

Comment

piiiiiiiix please!
            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Welcome to JCF.

Comment

It would be my dream in life to own a transparent green left handed SL2H

Comment

Someone here is selling his Left SL1 in trans Green.
                http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...st288534273790

Comment

It's a damn good price. But no matter, I still can't afford it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Someday though, once I get all my student loans paid off lol.

Comment

Forget it, I'm not in the mood to mess with it (or drop $45 on a setup and still not like it) - it's on the bay. Search on my username for it if you're interested. I guess I'm too new to post a classified on here. It's a damn good price. BTW - did Jackson recently raise prices? The black ghost flames were $1856 now they're $2137!
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

that $45 could lead you to your favorite guitar. Give her a shot. I bought an early 90s rhoads and it needed almost a $100 worth of work or maybe it was less, but I bought it anyway and got it rewired and setup and now its my favorite guitar. I have yet to play a guitar that comes even close to it. Yeah Jackson had a price increase. Just when I was about to buy a Jackson and ENGL both of them had a price increase. just my luck

Comment

Exactly.
                          It's too fast to say the guitar isn't what you expected.
                          I have seen this many times when new members come here and show what they got.
                          What happens? many of them ended up selling their new Jackson within a week or so and never come back to JCF.

Comment

Everyone here is right, I had to have mine set up as well when I first got it and now nothing comes close. Spend the $45.00 or whatever you think a set up will cost where you live and then check it out. A good set up guy can do wonders
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Its not going to go down in value in a week or two. Give it a decent setup and see how it plays then. Im telling you, you might have a diamond and not even know it. Get the action nice and low and play it a while. You might start to love Jackson's low action and ebony fretboard. I know I do. I cant think of any other company that lets you get away with an ebony fretboard for the price Jackson does.

Comment

Working...
                              X