Problem with my SLATQH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my SLATQH

Let me throw this one out there and let me know what you guys think. What would you do...

I bought my SLATQH from Scott at Vwall recently. First off let me say that Scott is a fantastic guy to deal with and buy a guitar from. He has helped me in a lot of ways including this situation. This has nothing to do with Scott.

A few days after I got it, I noticed that there was a hairline crack in the urethane on top of the binding on the bass side of the head stock right behind the nut. Disappointed? Yes, but at the time not worth the hassle of sending it back and possibly waiting for another SLATQH for 6 or more months. This was really a minor thing that was barley noticeable. I recently noticed that the hairline crack was starting to travel past the binding onto the black finish of the neck/head stock. At this point, I have no idea how far this is going to travel (It's about 1/2" long right now) and this is a brand new guitar so I contacted Scott. He contacted Jackson and got the name of a gold level Fender repair guy in my area. I went to see him today and he says that he cannot do the repair and that it will have to go back to Jackson.

Here's where I don't know what to do. On one hand, I hate having to ship back the guitar. the repair guy told me that he doubts that they will refinish the area in question, but does not know what they will do or what they will offer for help. Sending it back seems like a risk and part of me just wants to keep it and forget about the crack.

On the other hand, this is a brand new guitar that cost a lot of $$$. This should be taken care of by Jackson.

If it were you, would you ship it back and take a chance?

I'm leaning towards yes.

Jim
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Problem with my SLATQH

Jim, that sucks.
    The guitar is BEAUTIFUL and I know how you feel right now.
    But let' face it.
    If this gets worse,it would cause some major problems.
    You didn't buy it just for hanging it on the wall.
    You play her so you bought it and you don't want a problem with it.

I haven't checked the details of the warranty on these new guitars.
    If I were you, I would send her back and get it fixed(man that will take a long period of time I can imagine..)
    Or simply ask for your money back.

Sorry to hear this but it comes around goes around.
    Even you have to send her back to the factory, I am sure it will come back as beautiful as it is now.
    Or if you decide to ask your refund, I am sure you will find even nicer one in near future.

Good Luck!

Comment

I say send it back and buy mine!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!, JUUSSSSUST serious...kidding!!!

Look, its a NEW guitar, don't piss around, return it to have it replaced or repaired. Roodyrocker sent an RR in to Jackson to have a finish crack repaired it came back rather quickly and it looks flawless. It is worth it, with the price of these guitars PLUS the 15% increase, you deserve to have a perfect guitar out of box. Put you OWN dings and scratches in it man, send it back, do not hesitate!

Thats all I have to say about that,
      Mike

Comment

Yea send it back. **** happens as long as they are willing to stand behind it, I would. You buy something new you expect it new. If you keep it? How willing will you be in the future to buy a new Jackson? Probably not. Maybe stress from shipping, maybe something in the finish process. At any rate, sorry to hear it. But if you keep it you have lost a lot of money in the value of the guitar and its just going to get worse; especially if it has in just a short time.

Comment

Here is a crappy pic. It's really hard to photograph.

Mike I want yours bad! Like DJM says soo many guitars and not enough money!

I'm leaning that way. I just hate to have it away for who knows how long. If I didn't send it, it would bother me.

I also wanted to add that I'm not complaining about Jackson either. This guitar's quality and fit/finish are incredible. I played a pre-Fender SL1 that my buddy bought and you can tell the difference between then and now. They were great then. Unbelievable now. I'll have to wait and see what they say when it gets there. I hate shipping it. SLATQH's seem to have bad luck during shipping. Remember Fritz's? I'll just be happy to have it back.

Jim

Comment

Hey Jim, I heard you mentioning about Blue SLATQH..
            Are you getting another one?
            if so, that would help you while this Trans Black one will be away for repair, no?

Comment

Yes, that would be the blue SLATQM that Spaceace is holding for me. I hope to pick that one up in a week or two. I really shouldn't be spending the money on it, but I have to have it. Thats why I sold the archtop pro. I also have a custom shop order in the works and the limited SL2T Chlorine should be in around Nov. I had a few more deals cooking but I put a hold on everything until these three Come in. I initialy sold a ton of gear in the spring and have been on a Jackson buying frenzy with that money. It's pretty much gone now so I have to take it easy. I think after these deals go through I'll be set. No more for a while unless I sell something.

The thing that sucks is My 87 arch top (thanks again Toru!) is currently apart. Dave is making me some custom brass pickup rings for it and he needed the originals to copy the arch, the archtop pro will be gone, the PC1 will be gone and the SLATQH is going back to Jackson. I won't have an electric to play until I pick up the SLATQM. Time to pick up the old nylon string! It doesn't suck that bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Jim

Comment

Another vote for sending it back - when the warranty runs out and the crack only gets worse you'll be kicking yourself.

PS - any pics for those of us that haven't seen it? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Jim what happened to your Fender Strat?
                  You sold that one too?

Comment

I would send it back as well. Waiting to get it back would suck but as long as I had something else to play I would be fine. When I spend big bucks for an item I expect it to be in perfect condition.

Comment

Definitely send it back... You waited all this time for it, you need to be happy with it.

Comment

I'd send it directly back to Scott and then have HIM deal with Jackson. Less problems for you to have to worry about if you personally have to ship it to Jackson/Fender.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's going to go back for sure. I'm sure Scott wouldn't mind being the contact, but, I hate having to ship it in the first place so i'd rather send it direct. That way, theycan send it directly back to me. That would be shipping it 4 times instead of just 2. I think they're going to be cool about it, but we'll see after it gets there.

Toru, I sold the Warmoth strat a while ago. Kinda wish I had it back (I wish I had em all back! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Here's another crappy pic. This was after I put the brass rings on it that Dave(budman) made. I took them off already and put the black ones back on. I don't want to loose the brass ones in case it ends up not coming back.

Jim

Comment

If it's spreading, send it back.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I don't want to loose the brass ones

[/ QUOTE ]

point & [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X