Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought an 89’ Rhoads from the Ontario factory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought an 89’ Rhoads from the Ontario factory.

So I took a risk and ordered a 1989 Jackson Rhoads from guitar center. Rear loaded and seems to be all original. I’ll post pics when it comes in. It’s all black and appears to have a switch for what I hope is a stock Jackson preamp. It reminds me of Alexi Laiho but instead with 2 pickups and and no pinstripes. Problem is there seems to be lines in the paint from where the headstock meets the neck I’m told. And chips at the top of the guitar. On the body that don’t be seen unless your the one playing it. $1900.00 did I get a decent deal? Also how are those early Ontario builds? Are they known for being good worst case I can return it when it shows up.

It will probably need a pro setup so be prepared to spend some more money... I would find someone that really knows what they're doing... if it's all legit, own it, play it, proud and loud!!!

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

Anyone know what this preamp is?
      Discover topics like guitar, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like frontline2053000.

Comment

Anyone know what what saddles and saddle screws to get to replace these. They’re pretty worn. Also any tips you guys might have on repairing the tips would be good too

Comment

Cool! Seems like a 1989 since it doesn't have the Made In USA on the headstock, plus the non-recessed trem with the pull-up route behind it.

The tremolo is the Jackson JT590 which is the same as a Schaller, so get some Schaller saddles and you should be good to go.

The preamp should probably be the JE1000 gain boost with the mini switch to turn it on and off. Or maybe it's the wah sweep circuit JE1500?

Looks to be in a little rough shape. Let me guess, GC had like one picture and described its condition as better than it looks? I'd try to see if maybe you can get a little money back since it needs some work, but overall it looks decent and, hopefully, it plays nice!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Weird it doesn't have "Made In USA" on the headstock. Myself I would have passed on that because of the back of the neck finish, the wingtip dings, and headstock chips, but too cheap to send it off for a proper refinish. Unless you got it for stupid cheap which I doubt you did as it's Guitar Center she'd be going back. Then again I'd have never bought it in the first place in that condition. I can tell you that Schaller saddles will fit the Jackson JT-590. Make sure you order the correct "size" saddle for the one you're replacing. The high and low "E" saddles one size, the "A" and "B" saddles another size, and the "D" and "G" saddles a third size. I agree with Toejam that may be a JE1500 sweep circuit. Should have been 3 knobs from the factory.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
              Weird it doesn't have "Made In USA" on the headstock. Myself I would have passed on that because of the back of the neck finish, the wingtip dings, and headstock chips, but too cheap to send it off for a proper refinish. Unless you got it for stupid cheap which I doubt you did as it's Guitar Center she'd be going back. Then again I'd have never bought it in the first place in that condition. I can tell you that Schaller saddles will fit the Jackson JT-590. Make sure you order the correct "size" saddle for the one you're replacing. The high and low "E" saddles one size, the "A" and "B" saddles another size, and the "D" and "G" saddles a third size. I agree with Toejam that may be a JE1500 sweep circuit. Should have been 3 knobs from the factory.

Good luck with it.
              yea I paid 1750 for it 1900 after everything. I got a quote for 900 to repaint professionally. That would put me at 2800 with fresh paint job. I found the original case as well. It turns out it was a return to that GC and the guy who returned it kept the case and listed on Craigslist seperate. Even included the original Jackson hand tag that matched the serial number. Problem is he sold it before I got to it for 75.00 bucks. The original hand tag had it as a JE-1500 and confirmed they were the original pickups. Too bad I couldn’t get that case. I even put an ad on Craigslist requesting that whoever got it allow me to buy it back.

Comment

Sorry double posted

Last edited by Charvel’s-r-best; 08-03-2024, 09:37 PM.

Comment

the guy who returned it kept the case and listed on Craigslist seperate. .... Problem is he sold it before I got to it for 75.00 bucks
                  sounds like a real class act. to his detriment he could have gotten multiple times that for the case had he listed it on ebay or reverb

if you like the sound and feel guitar keep the messed up paint as is. nothing wrong with some honest battle wear.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    if you like the sound and feel guitar keep the messed up paint as is. nothing wrong with some honest battle wear.
                    That's solid and sound advice!

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

sounds like a real class act. to his detriment he could have gotten multiple times that for the case had he listed it on ebay or reverb

oh man it was a San Dimas era case too. There’s one just like it for 400 on eBay, but the new hardcase from Jackson seem more solid and way cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                      X