Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help

Hello I'm kinda new. I'm going by a guitar shop this Saturday to pick out a Jackson KV2. I was wondering is there a standard setup to a Jackson or do you have tell the guy what you want done to the guitar? Here's a picture of the guitar I want

Body:Alder with Flame Maple Top on Transparent Colors
    Neck:Neck-Thru-Body Quatersawn Maple
    Neck Demesions:12th Fret - .835"
    Tuning Finishes:Die-Cast Tuners
    Fingerboard:Ebony
    No. Of Frets:24 Jumbo Frets
    Pickups:Bridge - Seymour Duncan JBTM TB84 / Neck - Seymour
    Duncan JBTM TB84
    Controls: Volume Bridge Pickup
    Volume Neck Pickup
    Master Tone
    Bridge:Original Double Locking 2 point Floyd Rose Tremolo
    Features:Mother of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays, Bound Fingerboard and Headstock, Inlaid Mother of Pearl, Jackson Logo.

Is that a clear plastic part around the pick-ups? It looks like it to me and could you get that part on there. Finally the last question is... Is there a big difference between the Mirror Shark Fin Position Inlays and The Mother Of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays. I know it coast more but does anybody have a picture of the Mirror ones?

Thank for taking the time to read this... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Need Help

I am not aware of any "standard" setup.... just tell the guy at the shop what you are looking for in playability. Are you familiar with OFR's? If so, you can always fine tune the setup when you get home. If not, get him to go over the trem with you.

Comment

Oh, and welcome to the board. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I am not aware of any "standard" setup.... just tell the guy at the shop what you are looking for in playability. Are you familiar with OFR's? If so, you can always fine tune the setup when you get home. If not, get him to go over the trem with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really familiar with OFR's.. I guess I'll be there for a while asking 20,000 questions about it. Oh well, that's what the guy gets paid to do. When I saw this guitar I totally fell in love with it. I originally saw a KV in Megadeth's Hangar 18 video, but when I saw the blue ghost flame. I totally cream my pants and said I have to get this guitar. The sleek design is what attracts me to this guitar. Thank you for welcoming me to the boards.

Comment

Those are the pick up rings...they arent clear; they're black plastic. Mirror Inlays = custom shop = $$$ MOP inlays = standard on USA Jacksons, not so much $$$

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Those are the pick up rings...they arent clear; they're black plastic. Mirror Inlays = custom shop = $$$ MOP inlays = standard on USA Jacksons, not so much $$$

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think it is like $120 more. I just wanted to see what they look like on a KV. They are probably more flashy. Thank you clearing the pick-up ring not being clear. DOH!! I dumb am I? What's the advantage of having a 24 fret over a 22 fret or is there.

Comment

No worries about the Floyd Rose... we have our Tech Q&A section full of floating trem weenies such as myself ready to help you out whenever you ask. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

24 frets means you get two more frets compared to 22 frets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] What else would you expect? And the neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge to accommodate the two extra frets. Some people say they can notice a difference in sound from the neck pickup when it's in different places. It's up to your preference.

Comment

The mirror inlays will be a little more than $120 above the production KV2 price. Once you move up to custom shop the base price goes as up as well.

I loved the Hanger 18 video too. I watched it whenever I could on MTV. I have a King V that came out a little before Dave's and I love it. I prefer the 22 frets.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  No worries about the Floyd Rose... we have our Tech Q&A section full of floating trem weenies such as myself ready to help you out whenever you ask. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

24 frets means you get two more frets compared to 22 frets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] What else would you expect? And the neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge to accommodate the two extra frets. Some people say they can notice a difference in sound from the neck pickup when it's in different places. It's up to your preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, there is really no sound difference. No guitar player with 24 fret has any advantage over a guitar player with 22 fret. Oh okay I get it. I'll probably go with 24 fret then.

The Holy Wars video was awesome as well. I'm not sure, but doesn't Dave Mustaine play 24 fret. He might switch back and forth like a lot musicians do. Thank you Jim Shine and other for your replys.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Is there a big difference between the Mirror Shark Fin Position Inlays and The Mother Of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays. I know it coast more but does anybody have a picture of the Mirror ones?

Thank for taking the time to read this... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you won't get mirror inlays for $120. If you want mirror inlays, you'll have to order a full Custom Shop guitar, and that's probably $2500+ depending on your specs.

Then, from what I understand, "mirror inlays" refers to the way the sharkfin is positioned on the fretboard, MOP refers to the material the inlay is made out of. MOP is standard, abalone or something else is custom. Of course, the inlay could be made out of real mirror but I've never seen that myself.

Here are the different ways Jackson can position the sharkfins (these are all made out of mother of pearl (MOP)):

Comment

Thank you TDurden. You just clear every question I had about the inlays. I appreciate it so much for the example to.

Comment

Working...
                      X