1984 Soloist (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Soloist (pics)

Real, modded, or a total rework job? I am not sure. Serial number J0130 is logged as a "Strat" with with red and black bullseye graphic and Kahler trem. The oddity is serial number J0132 is for the exact guitar, same specs even same work order #. Both serials completed July 1984. The guitar appears in its current state (only change has been the knobs, they were painted to match the body like the rest of the hardware in the pic) in the November 1984 issue of guitar world. Since the magazine came out in October, it is safe to assume the picture and article were submitted by late August or very early September 1984, so perhaps less than two months after production.

The guitar features painted hardware, meaning bridge, tuners, locknut (originally) knobs, pickup cover and ring. The side dots are also painted to match the body. The face dots are white side dot material. It has a factory Floyd Rose, and never had anything else. The neck ply seams are visable and some areas were factory cleaned out around the arm socket area of the bridge and the wood is solid, not filled and or capped. The body has a round Strat bevel on the back and more squared off Soloist edge on the face. The body outline is like a Soloist except for the horns, which are Strat style.

The body color is a silver metallic with a very light red pearl overcoat that is impossible to get a picture of. The one mod I am sure done to this outside of the factory was for the Gresco Verytone preamp as the article in the Guitar World mag was all about electronics mods to make the guitars more versatile.

So, do I think it is real? Yeah, except for the Verytone I think it was something Bob had cooked up by the Charvel/Jackson crew. Looking at one of his others Soloists and it is evident he was eccentric.

If you want to see more pics, CLICK HERE.

Re: 1984 Soloist (pics)

sweeeeeet [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

sweet guitar - and it's older than i am [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

WOW!!! That's nice Jim! Very clean too!! I'd say original... Someone just probably stamped the wrong serial on it... Schweeeeeet!!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Who is Bob Davis? I have never heard of him. Nice guitar though.

Comment

Nice score Jim! tits!

Comment

I think it was a log entry mistake. You never see two guitars with the same work order numbers (atleast in that log).

From what I gather Bob Davis was a touring musician that played with all of the bands you would never go see, Cyndi Lauper and the like. I hear he was a Jackson endorsed artist. I am looking for more info on him, but can't find squat. Someone was auctioning one of his other Soloists on eBay a month or two ago. It had the same rear mounted strap button (though it was relocated to the 'normal' spot) and had his name written on the headstock.

Comment

waaaay cool. I'd buy that for a dollar!
                Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Bixby was awesome!

Comment

jim that guitar is great...i remember drooling over it in guitar world...i think bob davis had a strat head too that was in an advert in the mag with his kid in the picture,,,great guitar!

Comment

There is something about that that I really like. REALLY like.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        jim that guitar is great...i remember drooling over it in guitar world...i think bob davis had a strat head too that was in an advert in the mag with his kid in the picture,,,great guitar!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see that!

Comment

Now THERE'S a Soloist for me!

Comment

i think that's it to the left of his head. well on his chin!..a red holdsworth with a floyd...

i have all the old magazines at my mom's [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i will dig them out and see if I can find any goodies to scan...

Comment

Very cool guitar!

Comment

Working...
                              X