Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Rhoads LTD / Zakk Wylde Style.

I don't see the big deal.

Besides, in the grand scheme of things, a few more (or a few hundred for that matter)LTD type guitars will neither make or break Jackson. It's not like all of the sudden the latest stars will start playing Randy's look-a-like and we will be seeing it in magazine endorsements and such. Zakk can get away with it because of the Ozzy legacy and that Zakk is an extreme fan. He's not giving up his LPs to play a LTD. So a few dozen or hundred out the door that wind up in someone's closet or under the bed doesn't really change anything.

As far as pissing off the original 200 LTD owners, if another run was done there would be triple that number behind them to take their place. There will always be a demand for that type of guitar from a certain core group of people, but in reality not enough for a full production run.
    Let's be real about it, outside our little bubble here, Randy's name is not as big as some of the newer players out there to the 12-15 year olds who are thinking of playing guitar. "I wanna be like Randy" is probably not heard as much in Guitar Center, as "I wanna be like Kirk Hammet, or Mick 7, or [insert recently popular downtuning gear whore here]" .

Just my $.05

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      um...and let's keep in mind that this is ALL speculation; just because someone's got a bunch of them on order doesn't mean that order will be filled. then again, if you make it different enough, i'm sure they'd do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..

If anyone is interested in trying to get one,PM me or send an email to Zewango@optonline. I'll give you the info to the store. I have nothing at all to do with this, just stumbled across it, and now have to debate getting one.

Comment

I thought they didn't even make all 200 becaues of soft sales on them (the 1st run)
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

This is a good discussion, many interesting points. I bought my LTD new and I scraped cash together to get it. Part of the reason I busted my butt was that I knew it was limited. When the PCS models came out I wanted one, but when I found out they were not limited I wasn't in a hurry to get one. In fact I just got mine from the classifieds about a year ago.

I think that in many products a limited run has some value to collectors and the original list price of the LTDs reflects that. I am a collector by nature, my guess is that many of you are as well. That being said, if Jackson makes another run of LTDs just like the first run I probably wouldn't buy one unless I could get a v-trem to complete the set. However, if Jackson made a short wing run or some other variation on that theme I would be inclined to get another "LTD" to fill out my collection. At that point it would be a different model. So by making a slight variation it is possible to satisfy the current owners (or some of them) and the new LTD seekers and sell guitars to both market segments.

I passed on the Polka Dot V because it is so different from Randy's. However, now that I have and LTD, a PCS, and a JCF01, I want to get the Polka Dot V to complete the set. No doubt I will also pick up a GMW because it is a more accurate copy. Collecting is a tough job! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Which JCF-01 did you get
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

18. It changed hands a few times before it got to me.

Comment

I don't own a LTD, nor do I even want one. Jackson stated that the run of Randy's guitar would be LIMITED to 200 pieces, and then to back it up, they have refused many Custom Shop requests. So essentially, for the past 10+ years, YOU could not get a new one from Jackson. All it takes is one phone call from ZW's wife, and one is immediately built. I bet she even had it inside of a month! That is BS, plain and simple. Yes Jackson is a business, trying to make money, but you have to have principles. My bitch was that if they started up the LTD run again, that they would be going back on their word, to simply turn a buck. Jackson never willingly stopped making stratheads, they were forced to. The only thing stopping Jackson from making copies of Randys' guitars is their word, and they should stand by it.
                Do you honestly think that ZW is going to sell any guitars for Jackson?! Him pictured with the LTD is a blip on the radar. He was/is/always will use Les Pauls and continue to endorse them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The whole sports memorobilia industry is based on limited runs (only x autographed pictures of Barry Bonds hitting his 700th homerun). They advertise the limit to drive up prices...you know, low supply, high demand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very right....and in all honesty that is the WORST most dishonest industry there is where only the dealers make any real money.

I would hate to see guitars go that route in general but fortunatley I dont' think they will since 99% of people buy guitars to play and with the exception of some old strats and Les Pauls and a few other rare ones prices are reasonable for the most part.

Comment

if they do make more LTDs, I hope they will make more shannons too. why not make more Shannons since the 1st RUN wasnt really like the original SD soloists. just like the shortwong RR prototype LTDs or watever there actually called. make them with 3 peice NECKS & a SMALL control route, non logo'd duncans models that actually existed in the mid 80's pearly gates my ass. maybe even a TM'd logo with made in usa under the N.....I remember when they made the Shannons. went to play one saw the big control route & didnt even pick it up. re-issues of the original soloists my ass.
                    i know, at this point im just being an silly but why the hell not.

Comment

Just to set things straight, Jackson DID build more LTD's after the original run. And it had nothing to do with Fender either. In 1997 they built 4 more for the NAMM show. They are identical to the 92 LTD models but say custom shop on the headstock and the bridge is an Original Floyd Rose instead of Schaller which is what the non-Vtrem models had in 92. Their serial numbers are RR also. Point is they are pretty much the same guitar.
                      I own one of each of those and truthfully I'm not worried about any changes in value to either of mime if another LTD is released. Hech, if they release it I'd be interested in adding one to my collection [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Rudy
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Man...some of you need to chill the **** out.
                        Plain and simple *if* there was a Promise by AMIC not to produce anymore than the approx 200 orig. LTD's then that was a promise made by AMIC. How about the 7 shortwings...how about the limited # of LTD's made in '98 with the RR serials?? Who owns Jackson now? FMIC...FENDER...therefore there is no valid promise anymore to never produce any LTD's! The original LTD's have the LTD serial...if they do make more of these I'm sure they will have std. serials.

- Joel
                        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                        RIP Dime

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          that was a promise made by AMIC. Who owns Jackson now? FMIC...FENDER...therefore there is no valid promise anymore to never produce any LTD's!

[/ QUOTE ]

"If you had a contract, it was with him. And it died with him."

-Papagallo to Mad Max
                          "The Road Warrior" (1981)
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

When you acquire a company, you acquire all their assets and liabilities...that includes their contractual obligations. If I had a contract with AMIC, and FMIC breached it, I can sue FMIC. That said, I doubt that there was any formal contract with any of the buyers of the original 200 LTDs, so Fender can do whatever they want including pissing off people.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I didn't read pagge 5 so if I missed something ohwell.
                              Quite frankly I think it is an easy thing for the naysers to come in & bitch @ everything FMIC has done. 1st Jackson was going to hell just because FMIC bought Jackson. Then the catalogue (the original sin) was pimping Randy & disrespectful; & if I remember correctly the ever disastrous, brand killing, no hope left for the future - moving the custom shop to Corona CA.

If I'm not mistaken even the heralded Grover made some boneheaded goofs. Moved shop from san dimas/glendale to Ontario, moved Charvel production to Japan, sold the company to AMIC.

I see Greg's point a little (in respect for Randy), but I think enough is enough. I mean really I'm even to the point of not giving a rats ass if his last name is spelled wrong. He was a great player, he inspired me to play & countless others, & the music he created is still killer to this day, but it's time to move on. This is a business & a product, not a form of art. I see no problem with making the LTD or Shortwing a production model. It's not going to reduce the value of the original run. Case in point, if Delores ever sold Randy's original, do you think the limited run or Shortwings would decrease the value... hell no. From a honor & respect viewpoint, hell even his trusted friend & colleague, Ozzy, has pimped Randy out more than any other person or company alive. Truthfully I see more disrespect from the other companies like ESP, that bastardize the Rhoads design than if Jackson offers the LTD or Shortwing in a production model.

Last thing is & it was said before, FMIC did not make any promises to Delores (that we are aware of). And who's to say someone from FMIC didn't or won't consult with Delores before making the LTD a production run.
                              KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                              I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                              X