Woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woods

I have a Rhoads with a mahogany body and maple neck thru and the sound of it is incredible to me.Mahogany is definitely my favorite, but I have to admit I've had alder Jacksons which sounded really good but not as good as the Rhoads.
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

If all this sounds confusing, it is! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] What you need is a bunch of guitars of various woods with many pickup combinations. Then you go through the pile of guitars and pick one you like for that day. Finish playing that one then get another one. Well, all kidding aside, that would not be economically feasible for most of us. My suggestion is to play several guitars with different wood combinations. Check out what pickups are used and decide for yourself. Until we all win the Lottery.......!
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have a Rhoads with a mahogany body and maple neck thru and the sound of it is incredible to me.Mahogany is definitely my favorite, but I have to admit I've had alder Jacksons which sounded really good but not as good as the Rhoads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I your Rhoads heavier then the alder Jackson you had?

Comment

If it is it's not noticable at all but to me it sounds better
          Chris
          http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I had an Ibanez Jem made of basewood and basewood in my opinion is not as well defined or clear as some of the more traditional woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

BASSwood. Pronounced like the fish, bass. Rhymes with ass, lass, sass, mass, crass, grass, and pass.

Not pronounced like the low end frequency, bass, which rhymes with lace, face, mace, space, race, case, and pace.

Don't worry, I made the same mistake until I took an ecology lecture last year and learned about different types of trees in the local ecosystem, obviously one of them being basswood.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              BASSwood. Pronounced like the fish, bass. Rhymes with ass, lass, sass, mass, crass, grass, and pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on where you're from though. Around here, bass would rhyme with lass, sass, mass & crass, but not with ass, grass, glass or pass. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Damn inter-English language barriers. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] 'Kin ARSE mate! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If you guys can post sounds clips going through the sound levels. Please that would be very helpful. Tell what wood it is.

Comment

In all honesty I don't think that'll help you all that much. When considering solidbody electrics, tone comes primarily from your hands, secondarily from your pickups, and to a lesser extent from the body wood of the guitar. Think of the difference in body wood as the difference between a hamburger with ketsup and one with BBQ sauce - different animals to be sure but they're far more similar than different.

To make the sort of comparison you want to make you'd have to be the one playing and you'd have to stop and swap the electronics into each new guitar before playing it. Otherwise all you'll be hearing is someone else's style/tone, the difference in electronics/pickups/amps/effects/mics/soundcards/sampling rates/sound card DSP chips/EQ settings/cable quality/sampling rates/MP3 encoders/etc. (if different people post clips for you), etc. You'll hear differences but they'll be mostly due to other factors.

If you really think the body wood is going to make that much difference stop and consider that no two pieces of wood are alike so whatever you wind up buying will sound different than what's posted here. Further, unless someone has 3 guitars with identical body styles in the 3 different woods you're interested in, you might also be hearing nothing more than the difference in the mass of the body (or the neck wood type/mass, etc.).

I'm not trying to discourage you from asking for some clips but am merely pointing out that you're very likely to hear something other than the difference in the body woods in them. Be careful.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I guess I'm to cautious. I don't want to buy it and end up having something I was suspecting not be there and end up selling it while losing money out of the deal. The guitar shop I went to, to ask questions. They couldn't tell me jack. All they did was give me the price and told me they'll need half the money to order it. Which pisses me off because I'm not folking over money to somehting I don't know what I'm going to get. If looking up pricing on guitars is what it takes to work in a guitar shop. Hell, I quit working at a fastfood joint and go work there.

Comment

YAO, I couldn't have said it any better. You're dead on. HW, By taking a look at your favoite artists, you'll find a wide variation in tones due to the above mentioned. I've found out lately by using a very high end or(Boutique)amp (VHT, Bogner, etc., etc.) your overall tone can improve by a wide margin over your garden variety amplification. Add pickup differences, effects, loops etc. you can run the whole gamut of "tones" You have to play different (wood combinations)guitars as close to what you are looking for through gear, you will be using and set a "reference point") For my ear, a Les Paul Custom, with Mahogany neck ("fat") and Gibson '57 Classics is my "reference point as far as wood/pickup tone. And like YAO said, wood density can vary from guitar to guitar, but the effect is minimal, but it's there. Good Luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I'd say to try out a few guitars until you find one you're comfortable with. You can always change your amp/effects/pups to modify your tone (or just EQ out whatever you don't like) but you can't (or realistically won't want to) do much about the neck & body shape, the weight of the instrument, the control layout, and other permanent characteristics of the instrument. I know lots of people here will disagree with this but you can more-or-less fix the tone, it's much harder to find an instrument that just feels right.
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I'd say to try out a few guitars until you find one you're comfortable with. You can always change your amp/effects/pups to modify your tone (or just EQ out whatever you don't like) but you can't (or realistically won't want to) do much about the neck & body shape, the weight of the instrument, the control layout, and other permanent characteristics of the instrument. I know lots of people here will disagree with this but you can more-or-less fix the tone, it's much harder to find an instrument that just feels right.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a couple RRs up there. I guess I'll ask them if I can play them. Knowing the fact if I ask them what wood is it. They probably couldn't tell me that. I don't know much about the Floyd Rose Tremolo and went up there weeks back. The guy couldn't tell me crap about it. All he did was shrug his shoulder at me. I've gotten more info from these boards then the guy at the shop. It's pathetic that average guys who work different jobs who play the guitar for a hobby or for the fun it, can tell me more about a guitar then that guy.

Comment

Damn, dude. Where do you live?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Damn, dude. Where do you live?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tennessee. There a lot guitar shops here, but they are hella far away. I just went to the closest one which is GuitarHeaven.

Comment

Working...
                                X