Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Selection for MetalHeads and their USAs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup Selection for MetalHeads and their USAs

thanks guys, any help is appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Too much gain. Way over the top. Smokes the EMG in output, even in 18v, but not in a good way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a Duncan Custom/Jazz setup in all of my metal guitars except my modded Charvel model 4 (maple neck & kahler) which has a Custom 5 & Cool Rails. I also left my 25th Anniversery stock.

I've had the same experience with the live wire. It was huge sounding and extremely thick, but hot to the extent of being uncontrolable. Think of an EMG-85 with twice the output.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Too much gain. Way over the top. Smokes the EMG in output, even in 18v, but not in a good way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a Duncan Custom/Jazz setup in all of my metal guitars except my modded Charvel model 4 (maple neck & kahler) which has a Custom 5 & Cool Rails.

I've had the same experience with the live wire. It was huge sounding and extremely thick, but hot to the extent of being uncontrolable. Think of an EMG-85 with twice the output.

Comment

I have A set of Duncan Hot Live Wires in my Strat. Not exactly the same as the Heavy Metal Live Wires I'm assuming but similar. Its an 18v active setup. The pickups are smokin' hot and I like them. Back in the late 80's/early 90's I was using them through my MP-1 live. Sounded good but very easy to clip and also pretty noisy during breaks makes a squealing sound. Loved the sound though.
          Anyway, thats the only one so equipped. My others all have various combos including Duncans, Dimarzios and EMGs. I tend to replace the stock Jackson pickups though in my earlier axes, not a big fan of those.

Rudy
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

man, i must be weird. i go the opposite direction: low output pickups. i love duncan seth lovers and dimarzio paf pros. i'll use a jb, but i lower it into the body to reduce the output. i HATE high output pickups. i hate distortion pickups...put, as i always say, i don't shred.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have had some different experiences myself. To my ears the JB and the Full Shred are totally different. The Full Shred leans to the higher frequencies with very little low end and the JB aims more towards a midrange frequency. To be honest, the more I play the Full Shred, the more I hate it. It does seem to highlight the details between the notes, which is desireable, but the tone is a one trick pony.

My favorite pickups in my Jacksons are Duncan 59's in both positions. For me that is the most flexible model. If I want a strictly metal guitar tone, I do the EMG's.

Comment

Re: Pickup Selection for MetalHeads and their USAs...

[ QUOTE ]
                I haven't taken out any of my stock USA pickups. I got a TB-4 in the bridge and SH4 on the neck for all of my USA Jacksons

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.. Having played around with a bunch of different pickup combos, I find that that one sounds the best.

Comment

Hey, topic excavation time !
                  Since I finally got my first USA Jackson (hehe, happy !) and I was not totally satisfied with the JB in bridge position, i swapped it with the extra Dimebucker I had, and I must say I'm more than satisfied, it sounds great !
                  Aggressive but neat (I found the JB to be quite muddy...), good output, nothing really spectacular (hey, YOU have to make your sound to [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) but just what I wanted !

Comment

I agree that the JB is a little weak as far as output is concerned but, I think it sounds great with a little boost from my Tubescreamer. I found that the Screamin' Demon sounds good as well but, it really depends on the guitar that you put it in. I have a DK2 Guitar Center that is made out of Austrailian Lacewood and that thing rips in there. Sound like s#@t in my SL1 though.

Comment

I have the JB/Jazz set in a Model 6 (2H) and I absolutely love it. The JB has a wonderful growl to it, but I never did go for that total scooped metal sound. The Jazz is just smooth and fat, but articulate at the same time. I love lower output pickups for soloing, they are a lot more musical and defined IMHO.

I have a Soloist (S/S/H)that I tune to drop-B that has a JB Jr. neck, a Alnico II Pro middle, and Distortion bridge. The JB bridge was too muddy with the heavier strings and lower tunings, so I used the Distortion, which gets rid of the boomy bass and gives me the singing highs. The JB Jr. is great for solo work, since it is warm and fat, but with more output to make the heavier strings cut through more. The Alnico II Pro is great for the position 2 and 4 sounds, giving me a lot of that Strat "quack" for cleans and blusier stuff.

I have a Invader in my Rhoads Legend (LE from Guitar Xpress). I wanted over the top metal tone for the over the top metal guitar, and that is it. Thick, punishing rhythm tone and screaming leads.

Finally, I have a JB bridge and Lil' 59 neck single coil in my Phil Collen Archtop. The 59 is great for fat leadwork, but I am just not feeling the JB. I don't know if it is the heavier body (in relation to a Soloist) or the fact that the guitar has a slant bridge humbucker, but the tone is too muddy and I have a hell of a time getting pinch harmonics on the wound strings. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

I just don't like EMGs. They sound sterile and lifeless to me. Great for metal rhythm, but hollow for leads and I don't like to even think about how they sound clean. I got rid of all my EMGs on a whim a year ago and I haven't looked back.

Comment

Working...
                      X