Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Hot Rod Flames Soloist

Just got this in today.

Funny how cool things just come together on occasion. A few months back Chucksplatter was sending me pics of a cool Hot Rod flames Charvel he scored. I said to him "Man, I would love to find a Soloist in black with orange flames and Floyd". While I was out in Buffalo New York a few weeks back I had an email from him with a link to this eBay auction for just such a guitar. I emailed the seller for extra pics and details and a few days into the auction there were no bids, so I made an offer and backdoored this beauty.

The guitar has no serial number. It never did. From the specs I would place it early to mid 1985 range as it has the older grained aluminum jackplate and low set screw knob. The headstock is the early style that is really long (meaning it wont fit in any SKB cases). It has a one piece with no scarf joint neck, binding nibs, logoless SG36 tuners, two Jackson singles and an apparently added Seymour in the bridge. The only odd feature (other than missing serial number) is that a tremolo spring cover plate has never been installed. There are no screw holes or evidence of it ever having any screw holes, ever.

The finish is original from what I can tell. It has the typical look that is slightly rougher than a GMW would have. The logo is the TM decal. The case is a badgeless black lined Victoria Luggage like my other 85's have.

I am still setting it up but see no issues with the neck or frets. I will give it a work out once it is where I want it.

Re: 1985 Hot Rod Flames Soloist

Very cool, Jim. Not too many flame job Soloists from back then. Congrats.

Comment

Thanks! Here is a close up of the face.

The flames are orange pearl or fine metallic. The flames are outlined with baby blue.

Comment

sweeeeeeet..excellent grab Jim..I like it!!!
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Killer looking!
          Congrats!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The flames are orange pearl or fine metallic.

[/ QUOTE ]

That last pic really shows the color well. Cool shade.

Heh. Actually, I'll be seeing some orange pearl sometime in the next few months. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice grab Jim, love the colors on that one. binding goes over the ends of the frets?
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Yes, binding over the fret ends. The neck is very similar to the Shannon and my Coors Light in its shape.

Comment

Very cool guitar Jim, looks KILLER! congrats!

Comment

sweet
                    Jim how much did soloist necks vary in shape. my 85 is 1 5/8"nut thin but rounded back, my 86 1 3/4"nut thin but flatbacked very much like a charvel pointy neck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      sweet
                      Jim how much did soloist necks vary in shape. my 85 is 1 5/8"nut thin but rounded back, my 86 1 3/4"nut thin but flatbacked very much like a charvel pointy neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your guess is as good as mine. Of the 20 or so 1984-6 Soloists I have had I found atleast 3 different styles of carve with variations in nut width and thickness. I am sure there are more as I bet some people took advantage of the Custom order thing and had necks made to their specs.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Beautiful Jim! I love the orange on black combo, it's more "Hot Rod" to me, than the actual "HRF" color combo, congrats - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Nice score!!!

Comment

Yeah, there were at least four profiles that were common back then, and even through the mid-ninties.

.725 @ 3rd .800 @ 12th "D" often referred as the "flat spot" profile. My 84 Solist had this, as does my 95 Warrior.

My custom KV has almost the typical Speed Neck .775 .825, except it's a bit thinner up past the 12th... then there's the standard "C" profile Soloist, and then a "round like bat" profile... neither of which I have examples to measure, but is probably similar to JCF01 or any early Rhoads in example. Dunno if that profile ever made it onto a Soloist though.

I know the term "employee project" gets thrown around a lot, but the fact that it has a route for the cover, and was never put on is a decent indicator that it could have been, because I doubt that a guitar would get to the inspection and shipping phase without getting one.

Someone did once mention that it cost extra if you built one (as an employee) and wanted it serialed, it would cost you extra or something. I don't remember who said that, but it was probably speculative.

Anyways, nice score!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I currently have two with the large bat profile and owned one other with it. When I find the calipers I will measure them. I know the Rising Sun has the largest size of the three. Bigger than either '83 Rhoads I had.

I have heard that employee guitars can lack serial numbers. Perhaps the speculation is true. You figure the company doesn't record the guitar so it probably based the sale on parts or just wrote the parts off as damaged.

Comment

Working...
                              X