1988 ltd edition Jackson #88388

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 ltd edition Jackson #88388

New guy here, open question to all you guys. I have in my possession one of these guitars with some questions behind it. I dont know how to go about this, and in fact never have which is why it sits in the state of disrepair that it is in. I bought this guitar "brand new" from an aquaintance in San Francisco who ran out of the old Guitar Center on Mission Street with it in broad daylight. it was kind of a dare, and I couldnt beleive he actually did it. This was my very first "brand new" guitar, I loved it, cherished it, and played it and learned to play for years and years and years until an amp was knocked over onto it on stage in a bar one night as it sat, innocently? in its stand. Quite a bit of damage was done. The trem suffered the loss of two of the little pieces that the allen screw squeezes to hold the strings in (dont ask me how)and there was major damage to the finish, but luckily it was all on the back of the guitar. The heartbreaker for me was that the shock of the fall caused a little crack in the back of the headstock right where the trussrod makes the transition from headstock to neck, I guess is how I would describe it. It no longer stays in tune. well I figured karma had caught up with me, and I just put the axe away. now, its been probably 5 years since this has happened, and I am in the process of moving. I come across this old relic,parts cannibalized for other guitars, active electronics gone forever, bridge pickup & original trem gone(but I think I may still have those somewhere) and I was filled with sadness.(seriously) what to do? how can I give this instrument new life without revealing its shadowed yet colorful past? I would love to get a replacement neck for it identical to the one it came with but dont see how that could be done, even if it didnt have the issues it does. I put another neck on it once for a while, it just wasnt the same guitar. I know this is a pretty open question, but I would like to restore it to its former self...any suggestions?

I have pictures, the axe is pretty sad, but i cant figure out how to get them in the thread. I can email them to any interested parties

Re: 1988 ltd edition Jackson #88388

It shouldn't be very difficult to restore. All the parts are readily available.

It probably just needs a new trem, possibly new trem posts.

How big is the crack? Some Elmers wood glue and a clamp can do wonders.

I can host the pictures, but I'm leaving for work and won't be back for a while...

m_bartelt at hotmail dot com
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I would suggest not posting that you knowingly purchased stolen goods. To late now though.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

lol... I actually didn't read it like that... I read it figuratively instead of literally... I thought his friend was the manager or something. So much for my speed reading [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I had missed that on the first read thru too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] How much did you pay your friend?

Comment

yeah, I thought about it long and hard before I posted it, but I was just a kid, it was so long ago that I figured the truth was the best way to go about it, it actually happened without my knowledge. when the guitar was placed in my hands after the fact, I really didnt know what to do. he looked at me and smiled and said "dirty deeds and theyre done dirt cheap" I swear to god! I remember it like it was yesterday.. Hes dead now anyway so I dont think he cares that I finally gave up the secret. I gave him 200 bucks...
            xeno.. look for the pics tonight...

Comment

The pictures are going to be big... I have no software to shrink them at the moment...

Comment

Working...
              X