The PC1 Solar Has Landed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PC1 Solar Has Landed

The new PC1 Solar has arrived from Jackson by VWall Guitars. Scott said it would take 60-90 days and it took 59 days. Thanks Scott! The Solar color is really interesting because it shows various shades of color or depth of color depending on what angle you look at it. Oh yes, it plays awesome. And Yet Another One (sorry YAO, I stole your motto!LOL) to add to the stable! It may become my favorite!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Here's some pics:

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Re: The PC1 Solar Has Landed

Looks very tasty ..love that colour [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I still reckon I,d get lost without fret markers [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ..although I am sure you get used to it.

Wolf [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

There are still dots on the side of the neck. Trust me, you won't get lost.

That's a real nice Solar. Good burst on that one.

Comment

Coming from a relatively new player, trust me, you wont miss the dots.

Shawn
        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Shreddermon, Yea what's interesting is if you look at it in regular room lighting, it looks almost like a plain transparent finish on quilt with a slight lightening towards the center. When you hit it with the high intensity from the flash it looks more like a "burst".
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Ok what's the neck feel like on these? I've been dying to try one and no one in Boston has them in stock.
            Neck shape? similar in feel to...? Body weight? come on now guys, for the time being I've got to live vicariously thru you! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

The neck feels like the 50's, early 60's Fender "C" shape to me. Plus it's a oiled satin neck. I can't compare it to an older Charvel, however the back is more rounded than my SL1. I usually never test a guitar before I order it (usually can't find locally what I'm ordering in the first place). That way I'll be suprised. I was suprised on this one and I like it. Body weight is very similar to my SL1, maybe a tad heavier due to the Mahogany??? It's a very comfortable guitar. Love the harmonics on the sustainer!

Comment

I have had a PC1 for about a year. Its the best guitar I have ever owned or played even compared to Tom Anderson, Zion, Warrior, Baker or any other custom manufacturer.

However, I found the Dimarzio a little thin and replaced it with a Duncan Custom 5 and the tone just kills!

The neck is larger than a Charvel at the nut and everywhere else. I have an 83 Charvel. You could call the neck a little chunky but I prefer this neck over any of the neck through Jacksons that I have previously owned. I can get more leverage for vibrato that I could not get on a thin neck.

It takes a little getting use to shredding on this neck if you are a thin neck guy. Believe me all of my previous guitars except for the Charvel had very thin necks. Ibanez Jem, SL2, etc...

Here's the deal with the PC1 IMO - I think it takes a little stronger fingers to play it. Which is good for your development as a player. And once you get use to it the thing shreds clean and clear. Notes ring like a bell, harmonics are killer. At high speeds the notes are very clear on this guitar compared to any other guitar I have owned.

The neck just feels natural to me now. It is silky smooth and I can shred just as fast as on any thin neck now.

Once I got this guitar I sold my SL2. The tone on the PC1 is the best I have heard anywhere. I think its a combo of the body woods, the bolt on neck and the construction. The sustain is as good as I have heard.

After I put in the Duncan Custom I had it plugged into an old Crate head. Without using the sustainer notes would sustain indefinitely at the particular setting that the amp was at. Me and my friend sat there just stunned.

Accoustically this is the loudest electric guitar I have played. I think this is part of why it sounds so good when plugged in.

I just can't say enough about this guitar. It is my favorite of all the Jacksons.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Shredmonster,
                  After playing the PC1 basically all day (couldn't put it down), I can totally agree with your assesment. In my 38 years of playing and owning many fine guitars, this one's the "Holy Grail" for me! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Thanks for the tip on the Duncan Custom 5. I'll give it a try. I really like the way the PC1 is now, but I'm always in for experimenting. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Shredmonster, Does the Custom 5 you have the designation SH-14 Custom 5? There seems to be variations of the Custom 5 on the SD Website. From the description this seems to be the one you have?

Comment

The Custom 5 I have is specifically a TB-5.

There are other Customs but the best one I think is the TB-5.

Why? It is a little hotter than the others but not too hot.
                      What I mean is that it is not too compressive.
                      If you turn the volume down a little on the pick up it becomes very focused and increases the dynamics.

You can get great sounds out of it without having to crank the amp to 11 and turn up the compression.

I have evolved into getting sounds with my fingers instead of a processor. I have a high gain Framus Cobra amp. But I only turn the gain up to about 4.

Too much gain or compression and you lose dynamic range of sound - it limits the sounds you can get out of your pickup with your fingers.

When you turn the gain down and learn to get harmonics and slurs and other things with your fingers it sounds much cleaner and much better IMO.

That is why the Duncan Custom TB-5 is the pick up that I prefer. It also gets some very high ratings on harmony-central compared to most other pickups.

It is a favorite among a lot of players even in this forum.

They make an EVH version of the Custom which costs $140 that is suppose to give you that brown sound. It is a Duncan Custom Shop pickup. One of these days I may give that a try.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Shredmonster,
                        Thanks for the tip on the Duncan Custom 5. I'll give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way the pups attach to an electrical board via some very small clips that the pup wires are crimped into.

The way to replace pups is to leave about 4 inches of existing wire of the old pup on the clip. Just cut the wires from the old pup and leave 4 inches. Then use those wires to attach the new pup so you dont have to mess with the clip.

I had a friend of mine who works with pups all the time break a clip and it was a bitch to fix and cost me $50.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Very nice.
                          Congrats!

Comment

I have a TB-5 custom in my GMW and it sounds incredible. Right now it's my favorite pickup, ShredMonstors review is dead on, hot but not too hot and it cleans up real nice when you roll back on the guitars volume.
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Shredmonster, the SH-5 and TB-5 are the regular Customs, which have ceramic magnets. The Custom 5, with its alnico 5 magnet, has the designation SH-14 and TB-14. And then there's the Custom Custom (basically a Custom 2), with its alnico 2 magnet, with the designation SH-11 and TB-11.

So which do you have, the ceramic Custom or the alnico 5 Custom 5?

Beautiful Collen, Bengal651. The PC1s have some of the best trans finishes in the Jackson lineup. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X