How much did your custom cost you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did your custom cost you?

I was thinking of starting to save up for a Custom, and was wondering what I should be looking to save up. I tried the order form on the Jackson site, but heard that it wasn't too accurate. Anyway, how much did you Custom cost you?

Re: How much did your custom cost you?

The custon shop estimate on Jackson website pretty much give you the ideas of how much your custom guitar would cost unless you chose something very custom.
    Fill up the form and send it toone of the JCF dealers.
    It usually takes couple of business dyas for them to get in touch with a Jackson Rep to get the cost.

Comment

The Jackson Custom Quote is accurate for full MSRP Price. Your cost should be between 60-70% of MSRP.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

2 grand minimum for a neck through guitar.
        If it's something totally unique, then I say save and wait.
        If it's just a slight deviation from a normal production guitar, buy used.
        Chances are that what you want will come up on ebay sooner or later.
        You'd save 500 minimum and as Jackson's don't hold their value worth a shit, probably alot more.

Comment

Yeah, you gotta figure you need to have at least $2K put away and probably more. The "good" news is that you will have about a year (at least) to save it up once you commit, sign the order and pay the deposit!.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Jackson's don't hold their value worth a shit, probably alot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jacksons do hold their value pretty well. The MAP and price increase at Fender seems to have driven the market up a bit. Unique customs shop guitars have always held up pretty well.

Mint recent mfg USA Select commonly sell for over $1000. Mint custom shop guitars with cool features usually sell for between $1000-$2000. Rare models, like the LTDs and PCSs sell for lots. Mint Y2KVs sell for prices reaching original sale prices. Single hum or 22 fret soloists, 22 fret KVs, 24 fret Rhoads, etc... all sell for decent money and have strong resale values.

Of course, it's just like collecting coins, comic books, guns, or whatever. Value is directly based on condition and desirability.

If you're going to spend custom money on a custom guitar, be creative, and you'll get a lot more resale value than if you just order a slightly modified USA Select.

Pre-90 neck-thru Jacksons in Mint condition generally sell for more than they cost, unless they've got Kahlers.

Of course you're not going to get all your money out of what you paid for a NEW guitar. I really don't think there is a single guitar manufacturer that you can buy new right now and get more money than you paid.

Comment

I don't know, Mike. In 1991 I bought an alpine white Les Paul Studio from American Musical Supply for $550 with a gig bag. Today the Studio is a grand easy, maybe more...
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I didn't say that Jackson was a good investment. Only that they hold their value pretty well. I'm not talking about all Jacksons either, just desirable USAs.

A Custom ESP, for example... paying upwards of $5000, and as soon as you get it home, you'll have a hard time selling it for $2000.

Comment

Isn't the point of designing, and ordering a custom shop guitar something worth keeping? Why worry about resale. If you do have to sell for some reason (financial problems) sell something else and keep your guitar. If for other reasons, the guitar should be unique enough to get a fair price. If your worried about resale, buy a overpriced Gibson. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Like wine, unique custom shop guitars can be very good long-term, over 20 + years investments.
                    The heck with that. Enjoy life. A guitar gives pleasure to all everyday, unlike wine that no one would ever be able to drink. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Rock Now! (before we need, and fall off our rockers!!)

Comment

If I only had a time machine and a fistful of cash I'd go straight to the largest Gibson dealer back in 1959 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      I'd probably turn the dial and pick up a Shelby Cobra while I'm at it.

Comment

Well, to keep with the topic of this post.... My custom shop quote on my XTRR ran up to $4950.

[Edited by request -Bret]

Comment

How much was your deposit? I am thinking about getting a full blown custom that will easily hit $5K retail.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            How much was your deposit? I am thinking about getting a full blown custom that will easily hit $5K retail.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 25% non refundable deposit is what I was asked for.

Damn Jim what do you have in mind that will retail for $5000.00 ?.
                            Mike
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

It would be a cross between a PCS Rhoads and a Soloist. Using the regular quote deal on their site I get a price of $4430.00. Things I want that would be special would be:
                              -The smaller PCS style sharkfin inlays
                              -Brass NOS tremolo
                              -Brass knobs
                              -pinstripes on the body
                              -SD style controls route
                              -Older style bridge placement (farther down the body then the standard Soloist, I like that balance)

Comment

Working...
                              X