Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the string-through body affect the tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the string-through body affect the tone?

I'm diggin the SLH2T's, but I've been told that the string through bodies don't sound as good as the SL2H's. Anybody out there have experience with these two? I have a SL2 with a JB in the bridge but there are no T's around to test drive.

Re: How does the string-through body affect the t

very very minimally... You might get a bit of extra sustain and it might sound a bit louder accoustically. Plugged in... I really doubt you would notice any difference between string-thru or floyd unless you broke a string.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

To quote Sully, "Punch whomever told you that in the dick". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tone is subjective. What may sound better to one person may sound worse to another.

I haven't actually test-driven such similar guitars with fixed bridge equipped and trem equipped configurations yet. Therefore, I cannot make ANY sort of judgement. And even if I did, it would STILL be subjective. And so would anybody else's response.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. Pickups can make such a big difference too.

thanks

Comment

Technically a fixed bridge doesn't kill the strings vibrations like a tremolo and therefore adds for more sustain. But every guitar is unique and therefore the only way to judge anything is to try the guitars out. All Jackson I've had have been different from each other in one way or other even if they have had the same specs. Personally I tend to like fixed bridges more than trems.
          My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            To quote Sully, "Punch whomever told you that in the dick".

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon guys lets take it up a notch .. if your gonna quote an admin (especially Sully) then please get the quote right .. That would be the nuts..
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Re: How does the string-through body affect the tone?

[ QUOTE ]
              I'm diggin the SLH2T's, but I've been told that the string through bodies don't sound as good as the SL2H's. Anybody out there have experience with these two? I have a SL2 with a JB in the bridge but there are no T's around to test drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

One advantage you'll get with the string-through is easier
              note bending. With any fulcrum trem gtr, during string
              bends, you're pulling the trem assembly forward, so it takes
              that much more effort to achieve the same amount of sharpness than it would on a fixed bridge gtr. That's
              one reason why a lot of guys block the trems.

theo

Comment

I tend to get sustain for days with a string thru... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And in my experience, a string thru is more resonant than a Floyd...

( As previously described above )

Pat

Comment

Every bridge design is going to give you different tonal characteristics, but you'll be hgard pressed to notice them through a cranked half-stack with the gain on ten. Cleans are where you're really going to notice the differences.

It has been my experience that Floyd trems tend to be brighter and have less sustain. This is a product of the all that stainless steel, loss of vibrationn through the springs, and filtering all the string vibration through two knife-edges to two steel posts. A tune-o-matic string through setup anchors all six strings at the body, allowing more of the natural character of the wood to come through. More sustain and more of a natural resonance is the result.

Blocking your Floyd is going to let the vibration pass through the sustain block, into whatever material to you're using to block the bridge with, and into the body. Your attack will diminish some what, replaced by a beefier low midrange pressence.

Comment

Re: How does the string-through body affect the tone?

[ QUOTE ]
                    One advantage you'll get with the string-through is easier
                    note bending. With any fulcrum trem gtr, during string
                    bends, you're pulling the trem assembly forward, so it takes
                    that much more effort to achieve the same amount of sharpness than it would on a fixed bridge gtr. That's
                    one reason why a lot of guys block the trems.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 springs can usually cure that.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      5 springs can usually cure that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you can use Kahlers and not worry about silly fulcrum trem problems, but that is probably a religious debate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

In a good way [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Floyds are not only brighter, but to me are more harmonically active.

Comment

noodles unless the trem is a vintage type cranked down tight with 5 springs to mimic a hardtail or a floating trem thats blocked it does take more effort to bend your note to pitch with a trem , than with a non trem..
                            It doesnt matter if its a floyd or kahler they both have a fulcrum/cam point that floats , if you bend one string they all move out of pitch to some degree....
                            "I agree with number of the priest".. I know what I need/like to hear , but that is very likely different from what everyone posting here likes.
                            Tone is truly subjective at best, Irwin is looking for some advice and maybe a push in one direction or another.
                            I have played/owned string throughs,hardtails, floyd, kahler and vintage trem equipped guitars that sound like hell, while others equipped the same sounded killer...
                            every piece of wood is different, so one with a floyd could sound great while another identical to it could sound like sh!t...
                            string throughs are my favorite , but I have had some dimas built s/t's that totally sucked as well...
                            john

Comment

True, all trems move some with bends, but it has been my experience that a Kahler with the heavy springs moves the least.

I didn't really want to bring up the whole tone arguement, because there are just way too many factors that effect your tone--neck wood, neck design, fretboard wood, nut material, angle over the nut, body wood, bridge, and angle over the saddles, just to name a few.

Comment

Working...
                              X