XTRR vs. RR1 full analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XTRR vs. RR1 full analysis

I found it hard to believe that the only difference between the XTRR and RR1 was the upper wing length since it just feels like an all around smaller guitar so I did a little analysis on it. Here are my findings:

I hope the dimensions look visible in the pic. The body on the XTRR begins (flares out) at the 20th fret while on the RR1 it's at the 19th. This means the fretboard is only into the body of the XTRR by 1.25" and 1.5" on thr RR1. I think this is to keep the scale length the same on both guitars seeing as they both have a 10" length from fretbd end to inner V. Notice all dimensions of the XTRR are less than those of the RR1...most measurements are to the nearest tenth of an inch.

-Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Re: XTRR vs. RR1 full analysis

thnx for the insight dude, sure as hell explains a lot to me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

It's supposed to be smaller all around. The XTRR was based on the Danny Spitz (of Anthrax) "Dinky" Rhoads, which is a 7/8 size version of the regular RR (kind of like how a "Dinky" is a 7/8 size strat body). Great analysis, though.

Comment

So I guess if you do the math it seems like the XTRR is not truely 7/8th the size of an RR1. You can see that the upper wing was significantly shortened while the lower bout was minimally scaled down. The numbers support the fact that the entire body wasn't shortened to the same scale. It seems like they didn't sit down and say "I want an RR that's 7/8th the size"...they just messed with the design until it was small enough for Danny and still looked cool.

- Joel

PS - If you take any dimension of the RR1 and multiply it by .875 (7/8th) then you will get the supposed dimension that the XTRR should be if it were truely 7/8th the size....
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Right, it's close but not right on. I guess it would had looked funny if they had scaled it exactly to 7/8.

Comment

Yeah thanks Joel!

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ah, nice to see someone able to dig out the hard numbers! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I still think the difference in proportions between the RR & XTRR is big enough that the XTRR gets a "look of its own". I think it's looking more Hamer-ish than the Rhoads(?) - y'know, a little bit like a KK Vee.

Oh well, thanks for the info man! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Very interesting analysis Professor Drabicki

Comment

Now THAT'S enthusiasm! You can't find that on the ESPEE or Ibenhad boards - only on boards with caring and INTELLIGENT members [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Wow, cool info to share, Joel. Thanks. I think I'd prefer the XTRR's size.

Comment

Working...
                    X