Original San Dimas tuners???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original San Dimas tuners???

I almost forgot, we need pics of that guitar man! Don't mess with us! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks Jackson1 !!! I will send to you some pics from my USA Jacksons (RR0331, RR1367, U06810 and U10267) via e-mail. Hopefully you could add them to these webpages because I don´t have that opportunity...

Ok. There are pics from these Gotoh tuners.Chuck has response to me that they could be originals. Does anybody know for sure?

THANKS!

Best regards,
      Tommi

Comment

OK, so we now know that the San Dimas style tuners were in use through at least June of 1986. On a side note, I have a pair of 1989 Jackson USA Rhoads models with those same tuners, one is the yellow with black bevels RR2414 and the other is the "Valley of Lost Souls" RR2417. They both have black Jackson logoed tuners with that straight down slant like the SD ones. For some odd reason, 1989 Rhoads in that series were using them, and all original too.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Well, Tommi wanted to show off a bit [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] so i posted several pictures of his Jackson guitars in the old "show your gear" thread. Thought that was the right place to post that, instead of here.

Tommis Jacksons
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Tommi, is this your Rhoads with the gold Gotoh tuners?

If so, I'm almost certain those are aftermarket tuners. You see, the pickups are not original on that guitar, and being that they're in gold, it's likely the original owner replaced the black Kahler too. That would mean the black tuning knobs were replaced at some point as well as the locking nut. Gold Kahlers were practically unheard of in those days. I say with 95% certainty the Gotoh logoed tuners on your Rhoads are not original. Still, a killer axe. That was on eBay recently, no?
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I would be willing to bet that they used both Jackson labeled and non-Jackson labeled tuners at the same time for atleast a brief period of time. When the labeled ones came in there were no doubt many sets of the non-labeled style also around.

Comment

Hi to all!

Thanks again Jackson1 for your help!

Yes, that black RR0331 has these Gotoh tuners. The guitar was at ebay but I bought it out of auction because the winner didn´t pay it.

The original owner told me that he got this RR0331 direct from San Dimas factory and all parts are originals. He admit although that he painted pickguard to black (it has a little bit wear so I can see it is gold) and added golden covercaps to pickups. Pickups are originals.

One Jackson collector in Finland confirmed that these specs are originals with this RR0331 (golden hardware including golden Kahlers bridge).So I was only worried about these Gotoh tuners. Now I have answers both side (original / nonoriginal). May be this will remain some kind of mystery to me... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks to all for your answers with this tricky problem!!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Best regards,
                Tommi from Finland

Comment

Hi Charvel750, a friend of mine is the original owner of an early Rhoads (pre-1985). It is an off white/creme color with gold Kahler and hardware.
                  You may be right in that gold Kahlers were rare back then but they were definetly used. The gold Kahler in question here may be original as well.

Rudy
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                  X