custom shop Jackson finish question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom shop Jackson finish question!!

I just received my 1989 custom shop Star Trek guitar. About a 2.5" piece of the finish is cracked and lifted. It is in the shape of Australia and is cracked on 3 sides. It is intact but lifted so if anything were to brush across it, it would surely break off. The part that is cracked is right in the center of the Starship Enterprise. Also, some of the surrounding area directly adjacent to the cracked part is starting to lift slightly. I am afraid to lift the raised part up to squirt some glue under it because the 2.5" piece could crack right off. Do any of you have any suggestions? I was thinking that I could get some clear cellophane tape and tape over it. The problem with that would be I would never be able to get the tape off without lifting the finish off but at least I wouldn't have to worry about it completely falling off. By the way, the entire guitar is a sparkle blue with tons of stars and moons on it. The headstock logo even has star flashes on it at the tips of the J, K and N. What a beautiful custom shop finish.

Re: custom shop Jackson finish question!!

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm in no way a guitar repair expert and the infomaiton I give herein may not be the best but I've read a little on how to do something like this. I've got the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine, great book and if you plan on doing alot of repair work, I suggest you pick it up. Anyway, here goes:

You need to get a really thin piece of metal such as a very thin feeler gauge, then VERY CAREFULLY slide it under the piece that is lifting up. This will give you something to run the glue down and under the finish with. I've got a picture of the particular page of the book describing the process and I'll post it here for you. You can read it and see if you think it's something you want to try. It also says that Super Glue will dissolve some finishes, in particular, the nitorcellulose based lacquers used on many American-made instruments. So DON'T GET ANY ON TOP OF THE GUITAR OR YOU MAY BE SCREWED!! Anyway, here it is and hope this helps out!!:

If you don't feel comfortable trying this yourself, PLEASE!!! Take it to a tech and have them do it!! Good luck!

Comment

Looks like real tricky business. I think I am gonna try to find a local luthier to take care of this one. This guitar is just too darn nice to chance messing it up. Thanks for your reply...jg

Comment

No problem, my pleasure.... I think your making a wise decision. I don't think this is something I would try myself.... hands aren't that steady [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ..

Comment

A heat gun and two small (or large) C-clamps could fix this. I'm serious! If you are not good, or have any experience with the two, then go to a pro! It was just a suggestion that could save you some $$$.

Comment

I seen that ST one on e-bay. It went for a really decent price (I thought). Besides the finish issue, how's it working out for you? Can you post some pics of this one.

Congrats on the guitar [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] !!!

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com
            www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

It is a great guitar. The Texas Specials really honk. It actually sounds better than my 1989 Fender SRV!!! The paint job is incredible. Especially the Jackson logo on the headstock. It has pianted into it stars shining off of the points in the letters. It is incredible. The entire body looks like the milky way with stars and moons that pop out at different angles. WOW!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

You know, I was checking this axe out on the bay but ,because it was getting no action at 4-500 dollars, I assumed it to be a fake. Now I feel like Mr. Dumass again.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I here you on that!!! I have hesitated many times figuring that most of the "too good to be true" San Dimas (Ontario) custom shops are fakes. This one is the real deal. If it wasn't for the small finish issue you could consider this guitar almost mint. The nice thing is since it is a custom shop one of a kind I can put any pickup combination in it as long as it was available in 1989. It would be cool if it had either:
                  s/s/s all EMG SA's
                  h/s/s all jackson pickups
                  h/s Duncan Hotrail and Duncan JB (or Screamin Demon) if it was available in 1989.
                  I am probably gonna sell this one or trade it. I was one of 4 guitar players left out of many who auditioned to replace Randy Rhoads on the Speak of the Devil Tour and since them I have been a collector of Randy Rhoads guitars. Hopefully I can turn this one around on a sale or trade for another Rhoads V to add to my collection. Hopefully it will be somebody on this board rather than Eb@#. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X