No announcement yet.

Chipped fins....where to get repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipped fins....where to get repaired?

Hi everyone!

I picked up another USE Jackson, it was used, in great shape except the upper fin has multiple chips down to the wood (right at the tips). There not huge, but noticeable. Can I take the guitar in to most guitar shops to get repaired? Is it repairable? If anyone has had this done, around how much would I expect to pay for this repair?

I could let it go, but I would like to get the guitar as close to mint as possible...especially bein the rest of the guitar is mint....thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Chipped fins....where to get repaired?

Ooops...typo, thats supposed to say USA Jackson, not USE...hehe...

Comment

The upper tip on my Rhoads was really chewed up. I filled it with a filler I made from wood glue and poplar sawdust. I was lucky that I had to refinish it. You will have to have some touch up finish work done which will probably be the most expensive part of the restoration. Don't let them use off the shelf wood fillers as they shrink after a while and show through.

Comment

if it's a blk guitar use a blk marker [ or what ever color the guitar is ]if it's not that bad of chip's , I use to do that on my rr3 and it worked alright looked good from a distance like up on stage as well , if they are big , I guess you got to fill it and probably go for a refinish or touch up which is gonna cost ya some bucks . //Steve

Comment

Thanks guys....I'll try the marker trick, I dont think I'll go for a refinish being it sounds like it may be mucho dinero....hehe...

Comment

For filling in chips in a solid black finish guitar, nothing works like black fingernail polish. Since it's thick, you can use a few coats to help build up the area your trying to fill.

Not as good as a complete refin, but much better than a marker.

The worst part about it is explaining to the cashier at Target why you're buying black fingernail polish, and getting that "yeah, right..." look!

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

A better product for black guitars are Behlen lacquer touchup markers available at most craft stores.

Comment

Hey thanks Jim and Alex! I am going go to the craft store this weekend and pick some up...I shoul dhave a digital camera this weekend so I'll take pics of before and after, you can alll laugh at my unhandywork..hehe...

Comment

Glad to see this thread, UNFORTUNATELY [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I chipped the paint on my RR USA EDS upper wing about two months ago. Last night I sat down on the couch to play and the wing must of 'grabbed' the fabric on the couch, because I popped about a 1" by 1/2" chunk of wood from the top of the wing. SHEEEIT!!! Anyway I found the wood chunk in one piece. I want to have her repaired, to look unblemished. Who should do the work?

Comment

Metalhead, I would just glue it back in with white wood glue. Test fit it to see if it sits flush. If some fibers are bent or crushed, youmay have to straighten them out or remove them. One the piece fits in snug, apply a thin layer of glue and place the piece back in. Let the glue squeeze out and lightly clean it off with a damp towel. If there is some residue, don't worry, you can clean it later.

Be sure you use a water soluble glue like Tightbond. Don't use Tightbond II which resists water.

Good luck Black Funeral. I am happy to help anyone who has a pic of King Diamond (and a quote from "The Oath") as an avatar.

Comment

Working...
                    X