Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem replacement

Hi guys:

I think I know the answer to my question, but I wanted to verify with some of the more knowledgeable members here. I need to replace the trem in my RR1, from what I have seen it looks like I have a JT590 (its a '94 RR1). Can I replace the entire trem with a OFR or do I have to stick with the FT590?

BTW, anyone here have either for sale in black [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Trem replacement

The only problem that you will encounter is the string clamp bolts are much longer on the OFR than the JT 590 (Schaller Floyd II). The recess on your RR1 is basically not as long as on the current models with the OFR (I`ve just checked on my `93 RR1 in comparison to my 2002 WR1). You can however, fit the shorter bolts from your existing bridge to an OFR which will work fine.
    Cheers
    Steve

Comment

An OFR can be mounted on your RR1 and will work, but the Allen screws out the back will probably be too long for the cavity, like this:

...so you won't be able to really pull that trem bar upwards. You could modify those Allen screws. All you have to do is shorten them a bit - i would think 5-8 mm would do it and then re-thread them.

I don't know if a newer Floyd Rose (Pro or II) will fit. I never owned one. I guess it will.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONWOLF:
        You can however, fit the shorter bolts from your existing bridge to an OFR which will work fine.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Steve, it won't work. The shorter bolts from the JT590 are too thick for the gap in the OFR.
        Henrik

Comment

Hhmmm...thanks guys! I guess I'll have to try and track down a JT590....the reason I want to replace my current one is I picked up my RR-1 from a local shop where I dropped it off for a setup and pickup change, and the tech found two of the screws (I don't remember what they are called, but the small screws that hold the saddles), two of them were stripped. He didn't have replacements, so he used a different type of screw and they are chrome, works, but doesn't look that good, so I figured I would replace what I can....

Comment

I forgot to ask you guys, can a Kahler trem be placed on my guitar or does that require modifications?

Comment

You could just replace the baseplate then. Schaller should be able to supply you one. I also heard that some of the JT590s have replaceable threads as well.

You should your tech for putting on chrome bolts on a black trem! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ March 31, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: jackson1 ]
              Henrik

Comment

Note: i just read your post again. Why not just get the correct black bolts for the saddles? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                Henrik

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to try and find some parts online.....anyone have a good suggestion on a site? Yeah, I won't be going back to this guy, he didn't really do a great job. The normal place I go to has a minimum three to four week wait, and I couldn't be away from my new Jackson that long! Hehe....

Comment

Hi Jackson:

That does make sense...should I be able to pick those up at most guitar stores? (Stupid question, but when it comes to trems I'm not that experienced, none of my guitars has ever had to have a part replaced except for a few trem arms (like in another thread, those and socks are favorite prey of the scandelous gremlins)...

Comment

Yes they should be available stock in any larger guitar shop. Unless you're in Pakistan or somethin'. I can't help thinking that if the bolts were stripped, how about the threads in the baseplate? If you have a JT590 like me, the baseplate material is soft (not hardened like the OFR) so the threads are weak. Maybe they are going too. You should check it.
                      Henrik

Comment

Most good guitar stores should have stocks of Schaller parts, I`ve got loads at work but I`m in England!!! As regards the thickness of the String Clamp screws, I`ve only fitted the longer bolts on to a Floyd II and not the other way round. I promise to never "assume" anything again!!!
                        Steve.

Comment

Steve, check your email please.
                          Henrik

Comment

STEVE!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            Henrik

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys, as always, your beyond helpful! I think I'll take my guitar to another shop and have them take a closer look and see if I can just replace the screws or if I'll need the whole shebang....

Comment

Working...
                              X