Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Vs New USA

Guys,

I am kind of ignorant about Jacksons compared to all of you and I just noticed something I really dont understand.

I had two threads running at the same time. I one I am asking about a San Dimas soloist that I saw on e-bay and the conclusion there was that the guitar was NOT worth $1000 even though it was original and in good condition. On the other hand I bought a new USA SL-2H snakeskin for $1000 and everybody thought that was a deal.

Arent SD's actually worth more than any new Jackson?... I thought everybody here would cheer for the classic instead of the new but they did the opposite. I am confused [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ April 03, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Re: SD Vs New USA

Several things with that argument. First, the San Dimas Soloist in question was pink, S/S/H, and with a Kahler. Those three factors are considered inferior to a modern era Snakeskin finish with dual hums and original Floyd Rose. Not to mention the physical condition of both guitars, the SD was not in perfect shape.

Secondly, if you compared an original SD Soloist with a cool graphic, Floyd, and different pickups then I cannot imagine how they would not be at least equal.

Finally (and with some conflicting info! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) I believe that the skills of luthiers today are superior to those of twenty years ago. Even the esteemed Mike Shannon himself can build a better Soloist now than when he was cutting his teeth at Jackson in Glendora.

I have both Soloists (five San Dimas era and eight from 1989 to the modern era) and I prefer the recent ones. As a matter of fact, JCF member Drake and I just completed a trade dealing and I got J6490 which was made in November, 1999. It kicks a$$ on all levels. Great neck, great tone, great looks, and best of all, great playability. No Dimas has that vibe in my hands.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

In my opinion, it's just the Kahler factor. SD Soloists with Floyds routinely go for about $1000 on eBay...of course, there aren't very many of them.

I'll have to disagree with Joe on this one--I prefer the necks on SD Jacksons to the newer ones that I've played.

But the Custom Shop would be happy to make me a guitar with an exact replica of the SD neck, I'm sure. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I OWN ONLY SD JACKSON SOLOIST (85&86) THEY ARE BOTH WERE HANDMADE, THERE WAS NO CUSTOM SHOP THAN EVERTHING WAS CUSTOM ORDERED. THE JACKSON WITH JT6 TREMS I'VE HAD & TRIED JUST WEREN'T AS GOOD. THE FRETS WERE OVER THE BINDING AND NOT AS MUCH ATTENION TO DETAIL.YES KAHLER WILL DROP THE PRICE OF ANY GUITAR AT LEAST $200 OR MORE. THE COLOR OF THE GUITAR SHOULDN'T MATTER BUT JUST TRY TO SELL A PINK ONE. AS FOR THE NEW JACKSON THEY SEEM VERY CONSISTENT AND WELL MADE BUT I DON'T OWN ANY.

Comment

pink guitars have LOW resale. i sold a pearl pink USA sceptor V, with all the right stuff near mint $500 on ebay it went to 450 ....& a beat black w/ red bevels sold for $800+.

also i prefer SDs i own only one. i actually was looking for SL-1,2's. tried alot of them i found a nice BlueGF SL-1. still looked found an 86 mint condition w/floyd. plays great i do prefer the wider flatter neck. it also has frets over the binding. i dont like it the other way, why loose that much room on the fret ends. but its all opinion the new ones were real nice & the SD actually cost me they same amount.

Comment

I also dig the newer guitars, but for playability I seem to like the years 89-96 the best...

Two of my nicest Jacksons are 2001 Custom Shop models, but the earlier customs just seem to feel better for some reason.

I definitely believe the move to the Ontario shop gave them more room to make better guitars.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by jamie:
              i dont like it the other way, why loose that much room on the fret ends.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lose [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I like the neck shaping of the San Dimas era guitars. They have a much fuller feel than any modern Jackson's I have tried. I also think I like the neck angle.

Comment

Working...
                X