Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop inlay query

Guys,
    What's the difference between the 'Crop Circle' and the 'Alien Hieroglyphic' inlays listed on the on-line Jackson custom shop quote form? Pics would be appreciated....
    Also, ebony sharkfins on maple are more expensive than MOP on ebony - does anyone know if this is the case for these inlays as well?

Finally, and just out of interest really: if Jackson will no longer do graphics where the artwork is owned by someone else, how come 'Adrenalize', 'Hellraiser' and 'Geiger' are still apparently available?

Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Custom shop inlay query

Crop circle is like Roswell Rhoads.... Alien Hieroglyphic is like the Amir Disruptor:

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I think Jackson bought the rights to those graphics, which is why they can still offer them. Someone please correct me it I´m wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I would assume that Ebony Circles or Heiros would also be more expensive on Maple, but only getting a quote can tell that for sure.

Comment

Guys - thanks for that, and so fast as well!

I'm surprised that the Hieroglyphs are $360 whereas the crop circles are only a third of that, as to my eye the crop circles look much more involved and intricate....just for context, I'm pricing up an XTRR equivilent of my sunburst custom Roswell, hence the interest in these inlays.

I guess that would explain the graphic availability, but I'd be surprised if Jackson were able to buy the rights to what is effectively a Def Leppard album cover!

Rather than starting another thread, does anyone know how thick a maple top on an XTRR or Rhoads has to be so the bevels to do cut through it?
        Also, can you bind the edges of the body on either of those guitars?

Cheers
        Ian

Comment

they may not own the rights to the Adrenalize, but have permission from Phil Collen, given that he's one of their top (now No. 1) endorsers.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Rather than starting another thread, does anyone know how thick a maple top on an XTRR or Rhoads has to be so the bevels to do cut through it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean so the bevels *don't* cut through it? As in, so the bevels only show the maple top? At least 3/8", if not 1/2".

[ QUOTE ]
            Also, can you bind the edges of the body on either of those guitars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you will lose the bevels if you want actual celluloid binding. They can probably do a simulated natrual pinstripe around the edge of the bevels.

Comment

Every time I see that Dissruptor thingy I think of Ridcardo Montelban (Star Trek II!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Yep - I did mean so that the bevels don't cut through the top (damn typos!). I have priced the guitar based on a 3/4" top which I reckon should be fine (and I can't justify the cost for solid maple for the body!)

Also, given that the XTRR body is quite low mass in comparison to other guitars, would mahogany be a good choice to give the guitar a more full sound, esp with the maple top (i.e. a Les Paul)? I've never really gone down the total custom route before and I don't want to make a fundemental mistake with wood choice.....

With regards to the binding, I've got this idea in my head of spec'ing a sister guitar for my Roswell Rhoads which has a quilt top with black binding: I appreciate that the edge isn't clear cut on an XTRR because of the bevels, but I wondered if they could bind on the edge of the guitar, 'outside' of the bevels? It's not a big deal, but it would keep the 'family line' similarities complete!
                Cheers
                Ian

Comment

My XTRR will be all mahogany. I'll tell you if I made a mistake when I get her in Oct.

They need a relatively squre edge to route so they can apply the binding.

Comment

The Geiger graphic is my favorite and I soooo want a Custom Shop XTRR with that one day, with a mahogany body!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The Geiger graphic is my favorite and I soooo want a Custom Shop XTRR with that one day, with a mahogany body!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      mine too brother [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] i was thinking about that before i even got to the bottom here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]...i was wondering, is that graphic available in any way?
                      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

You would need to get written permission from HR Geiger for Jackson to recreate any original artwork that is not your own, if they would do it at all.

Comment

Xeno,

A full mahogany XTRR sounds really cool: are we allowed to know any more details?

Also, if I have a figured maple neck-thru with a mahogany body in a trans colour, what will happen at the rear of the guitar? As I understand it, the neck wood is not the full depth of the body, so:
                          Will the rear of the guitar appear to be full mahogany, with a join line across the butt of the neck where the shallower depth of the maple neck joins the mahogany back?
                          OR:
                          Will the rear of the guitar have a maple stripe running through it like the older BC Riches?

Cheers
                          Ian

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Geiger looks best on a Star
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Xeno,

A full mahogany XTRR sounds really cool: are we allowed to know any more details?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#332126

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if I have a figured maple neck-thru with a mahogany body in a trans colour, what will happen at the rear of the guitar? As I understand it, the neck wood is not the full depth of the body, so:
                              Will the rear of the guitar appear to be full mahogany, with a join line across the butt of the neck where the shallower depth of the maple neck joins the mahogany back?
                              OR:
                              Will the rear of the guitar have a maple stripe running through it like the older BC Riches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, or if you want a neck that is the full depth of the guitar body, order a 3 piece neck, or a multi-laminate. Multi-laminate is like a 5 or 7 piece neck with various "stripes" through it.

Comment

Working...
                              X