San Dimas vs. Ontario Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: San Dimas vs. Ontario Jackson?

After the move, nothing changed immediately.

Sometime before, during and after (all inclusive) was a transition period where the guitar logo's changed the "Made in USA" from under the "N" in Jackson, to the right of it, and the TM to "R" (registered trademark). These things would probably have happened regardless of the move.

As far as I know, the larger route wasn't done intil mid-87, but there could be SD-era large route guitars.

The small route is great for 1 hum guitars, but is pretty small when doing h/s/s configurations with multiple knobs, and would have been done...

With the line going overseas, and the with the Kramer rights to Floyd Rose expiring, Jackson got their own licensed copy and used the Kahler nut, which probably would have happened if they didn't move to Ontario.

Nothing really changed but the workspace, and I'll argue all day that the quality improved when they had more room and new equipment to make the guitars.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

While I don't own a San Dimas guitar, I've played a few, as well as quite a few Charvels from right before the move, and I'll say that there were no two alike in the bunch. My favorite out of all of them is an Ontario ('88) Dinky with an ebony board that I still own. I have an '87 Ontario, too, and it's very different, despite being built in the same place.

The thing that drives me crazy? A San Dimas will pull half again the value of an Ontario, all for some mystical "vibe".

Don't even get me started about Charvels. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I have a quite nice Ontario Dinky for sale in the Classifieds that no one seems to want, which helps underline my point. (Even if it is orange crackle.)

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I always recommend early Ontario guitars since the difference between those and the SD's are not that significant, and they can be bought for so much less. I own two San Dimas era bolt-ons and two early ('88 & '89) Ontario bolt-ons. Each one is very unique tone-wise, but construction wise they are all very similar.

Comment

Working...
        X