volume pot location misery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volume pot location misery

I love my sl2h, i hate the volume pot placement. No im not playing with an ackward right hand style, its just too close and my pinky always hits it. I KNOW I'm not the only one that has the same problem.
    First I went out and bought some tiny chrome knobs, significantly smaller than the ones that came with the guitar. They made little difference. So i ended up just taking off the knob completely. Even with the knob removed, i still occaisonaly bump into the thing. And i'd like to not have an ugly exposed pot on my new shiny sl2h. Pain in the ass. So i either have to remove the tone pot or stick it into the cavity, and just have a volume pot (wich is bs) or have another hole drilled somewhere for the volume pot. Again, pain in the ass.
    It's frustrating to have a guitar that is in most other aspects, ideal. Yet to have one serious drawback like this. I'm seriously considering having gary brawer's shop just drill a new hole somewhere and covering up the old one somehow, you guys got any suggestions?

[ April 26, 2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Gilbert ]
    www.SeveredSavior.com

Re: volume pot location misery

I had the same problem with my Ontario strat. I just removed the tone pot and installed the volume pot in the ton pot's location.
    The only drawback of this is that there's a hole where the volume pot used to be, but oh well...

Comment

If you never use you tone knob, you could just disconnect it and then switch the volume and tone pots. Your hand will still hit the tone pot, but at least nothing will happen to your signal.

Comment

You could take the tone pot out, put the volume pot there, leaving you with an exposed hole, then just sling a 'push-to-break' non latching switch in and even if you never use a kill switch, its filled a hole [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        To wire it, simply 'interupt' the wire going to the output jack, so its 'engaged' when the switch is unpressed, and then just leave it unconnected when its depressed, thus providing killswitch action!!!
        Lol, I used all the wrong words there, but I know what Im doing [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (but not with Valvestate Marshall's ahem [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

James

Comment

the suggested solution to this problem I got before here at the board was:

"Install a felt washer that rubs in between the wood and the pot with some compression. This will increase the friction and make the know harder to turn".

Comment

RE, i dont think his problem is that he is turning the volume know, just that he hits it when playing, which screws him up.

Comment

exactly gpops, its not being moved, its just incredibly annoying to touch it while playing. It feels like its restricting my movement.
              MrWhite, thats one idea that actually ran across my mind, (replacing the pot with a push button kill switch). I dont think it would detract away from the looks at all. But i would like to still be able to have a volume AND tone pot, so it looks like i'll be havin a hole drilled. My only concern now is where it would look best while still being useable. thanks for all the feedback guys.
              www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

That's one thing I've always hated about Jacksons - the volume knob is in the wrong place. A little further forward would have been perfect. I mean, seriously, for a guitar designed primarily for shredders, why use Country Hick Strat-style knob placement - volume swells? Use a damn volume pedal! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

It does take some getting used to, especially when you're used to anchoring your pinky around the pickup ring. Not everyone can do the Geaorge Lynch fanned-fingers thing without getting a cramp.

You could also look into having the knob professionally recessed as well as using a lower profile knob.

There's a fortune to be made in micro-shaft knobs (1/4" high at most)

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                  volume swells? Use a damn volume pedal! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

It would probably be easier to just fan your fingers out and get used to it rather than trying to change the guitar, imagine doing that on every Jackson you get (if you plan on buying more).. I've always played like that so it works fine for me, but I guess it could be awkward at first heh.. or as Newc said it might make you cramp up. Worth a try though.

Comment

I for one like having the volume knobs in easy reach...why buy a volume pedal when there are already knobs for the same thing on your guitar?

Comment

I'm with Boxcar on this one. I've got small hands, and although the volume knob used to be in my way quite a lot, especially when strumming or doing tremolo picking on the high E, but I've adjusted and learned to avoid hitting it. Just like my technique woes with unison bending making the fretted note go flat. Don't be the guitar's slave. Make the guitar YOUR b*tch! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I had the same exact feelings too. That knob is too close. I didn't want to mess with the guitar so I changed my technique. I used a semi open hand, about a half of what George Lynch does. Now I anchor my picky to the guitar body between the two humbuckers. The rest of my fingers are closed. For me this helped with my accuracy and articulation at fast speeds.

[ April 26, 2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: mguitar11 ]

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                            I for one like having the volume knobs in easy reach...why buy a volume pedal when there are already knobs for the same thing on your guitar?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because it lets you do those tricks without interfering with your playing? =)

'bane

Comment

This thread reminds me of the "Kelly is nosediving" thread! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] How dare you punks insult the almighty Jackson guitar company! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Think you can do it better? Open your own shop and put that volume knob where you want it to be and quit whining on the Forum, emmm kay? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X