RR1T Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1T Problems

I've had an RR1T for about two years now and I love it, except I've been having two problems with it that I hope someone here can shed some light on.

1. After having this guitar for about 4-6 months, the strings started buzzing like crazy. I've since had it setup and repaired about 3 times, and each time the problem comes back, although getting gradually better. A strange thing is that it buzzes even on the 22nd fret, where there would be no 'next' fret to cause the string to buzz. I keep this guitar in its hardshell case whenever I'm not playing it.

2. This guitar is bassy as hell. I have an EMG 81 in the bridge running through a triple rectifier...hell I even play in standard tuning and my low E string notes are still a bit muddy. Is this average for a RR guitar? Not so much a problem, as just a point of confusion.

Thanks.

Re: RR1T Problems

The buzzing problem might be that you have to adjust your trussrod, or you have too low action. It can also be caused by loose parts on the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Silos:
      I've had an RR1T for about two years now and I love it, except I've been having two problems with it that I hope someone here can shed some light on.

1. After having this guitar for about 4-6 months, the strings started buzzing like crazy. I've since had it setup and repaired about 3 times, and each time the problem comes back, although getting gradually better. A strange thing is that it buzzes even on the 22nd fret, where there would be no 'next' fret to cause the string to buzz. I keep this guitar in its hardshell case whenever I'm not playing it.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is the string touching a pickup when you fret at the 22nd? That's a definite possibility.

Comment

I'd guess something is loose on the guitar and causing the buzz. Check the saddles on the bridge, the tailpiece, etc. It could also be the trussrod (I've had this problem recurringly with my Flying V) - if it is, you may have to snug it up ever so slightly to make it stop.

*EDIT: As a matter of fact, my RR3 is very bassy as well, and sounds muddy in the lower register. I haven't changed the pickups yet, but I'm hoping the muddiness will go away once I do. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'bane

[ April 28, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Also make sure your backplates are tight.
          Isn't this the Floyded model? Or is it the Tunamatic?
          Anyhoo, if it's the Floyded model, put a hanky through the springs and see if it stops. All my Floyded geetars' springs resonate and it sounds like buzz (not FRET buzz, mind you).
          Another thing, some tunamatic bridges rattle anyway for one reason or another.

First you have to differentiate between fretbuzz and a rattling sound. If the 1,2,3rd strings all "buzz" on the 22nd fret, and it's NOT a rattle, you may need to have some of the frets smoothed over a little more. If, however, it's a metallic rattling sound (like a screw in a tin can on the washing machine - or similar to those old electric football board games where the "field" vibrates and shakes the little guys around the field) then your pickup springs are at fault. Pad them or get longer ones so they compress more.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

1. My action is HIGH. It has to be just so my guitar won't buzz like crazy...so this is not the problem.

2. I looked everywhere...the strings aren't touching the pickups at all.

3. This is definitely a string buzzing sound, rather than a loose-parts or something like that rattling type of thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

do you change brands and guages of strings a lot? Using the same gauge but different brand can mess up your action too, but I'm not sure if it would matter too much on a stringthru anyway. You probably need a truss rod adjustment and to set your bridge better. I don't know why it would get messed up so often though, strange. Maybe you should try a different tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Silos:
                1. My action is HIGH. It has to be just so my guitar won't buzz like crazy...so this is not the problem.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I must say it does sound as if the neck would need more adjustment. You shouldn't have to have mega-high action just to avoid fret buzz on such a guitar. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Since it's an RR1t, I'm assuming that its tuneomatic string-through, right? First, I'd check truss rod adjustment, as everyone else stated. Second, those tuneomatics have some pretty funny quirks. I've had problems with the saddle height screws moving / vibrating, as well as the saddles themselves. I've since changed all 4 of my standard tuneomatic guitars over to tone pros tunomatic bridges. They lock in place, so that seemed to take care of my problems. You can get those from WD for a decent price.

Comment

Dude,
                    sounds like you've got a bum axe...I'll gladly take it off your hands....make me a deal bro [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously...I'd check the truss rod and adjust accordingly...if you've never done that before I'd take it to someone who has so you don't mess it up permanently.

If you plan on selling anytime shoot me an email [email protected]

- Joel
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

Sorry no plans to sell.

Anyway, each time I got it fixed I went to a different tech. The truss rod was adjusted each time. I'm just out of ideas here..

Comment

Check the TOM bridge. Does it have a retaining wire on it? Hold the wire or the saddles down to make sure they're not causing the buzzing/rattling. You may just need to tighten the intonation screw on the saddle. I've had this happen on my string-thru Dinky and my Carvin.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ok let me clarify:

I'm pretty sure it's not a loose part rattling here. The string sound cuts in and out really fast, like a tremolo effect, so it's like it's repeating rubbing up against something. It is very bad for my overall tone too. :\

Comment

the muddiness is probably your amp, the guitar has generally seemed like a bright sounding guitar to me. triple rectifiers in my opinion are over priced and can sound very muddy, especially when palm muting

Comment

Working...
                            X