SL2H-MAH vs. SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H-MAH vs. SL2H

I was wondering what kind of impact (and how much of an impact) having a mahogany body has on how the Soloist sounds? Would it sound closer to a Les Paul? I like the sound of my Les Paul and I am trying to keep the sound while getting the feel of the Soloist.

Thanks.
    Nek

Re: SL2H-MAH vs. SL2H

yeah that about as close as your going to get. should sound killer. i like the sound of mahogany much better than alder or basswood or poplar, or ashe. but i'd have to compare them back to back with korina.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The Mahogony Soloist may sound ever so slightly different from a standard Maple/Alder Soloist, and I do mean slightly, but there's no way its gonna sound like a Les Paul.

Comment

I have a 1993 Jackson USA Soloist Archtop Custom Shop with Mahogany body and maple neck thru and quilt maple top,EMG 81/SA weighs a ton,but sounds oh so sweet [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] I play 9-46 strings thru a VHT Pittbull CL-100 Combo on top of a Madison 2x12 cabinet, it really rips and I am very happy with this setup for all of my guitars. If I were you I say go for it, Mahogany is sweet [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

On the SL2H Mahogany does it haved an oiled neck, and back body? I'm thinking I might spend teh extra few $$ for the mahogany, because you guys syays it's killer, and I think the oiled neck is much more betterer.

Comment

speaking of mahogany body soloists, what's up with the slatqh? it originally came out (and still is?) listed as a limited run, but seems to still be available even now, quite a while later. do they still currently make them?

Comment

Jon, Soloists typically have painted necks, under the clearcoat. I like painted and oiled raw, so that isn`t an issue to me, but you might want to ask Matt(OSG) the banner above, he will take care of you [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

your question also needs to be answered in terms of the pickups that you will use. Everytime you talk about a guitar, you always think about the sound that comes out of it at the plug. That is a combination of a few things... wood, type of construction (neck through or bolt on), pickups, electronics, etc...

People say that EMG pickups are less responsive to the effects of the guitar structure itself and that Seymour Duncans are great at that. I tend to think taht that is true and that if you are into experimenting with the type of wood, you should ask yourself what is it that you want to hear and choose the matching pickups accordingly.

Just my two cents...

Comment

SlatQH - Oiled Neck
                  SL2H MAH - Painted Neck

Both are still in production but at limited numbers.

Matt

Comment

Thncx Matt

Comment

What I'm wondering is would it make any sort of difference what kind of wood the wings of a neck-thru guitar are made out of? because the pickups are still going to be in the maple neck... sort of a moot point for the sl2h-mah as from what i understand, everything is made out of mahogany including the neck, which is great. but i think somebody said something about mahogany wings so that sort of got me wondering. also if i'm not mistaken maple is actually heavier than mahogany, but the sl2h-mah would probably be heavier since everything including the wings are made out of the wood whereas the regular ones have alder wings...

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when some one says it has maple neckthrough with alder wings it usually means its a flying V.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon:
                          Correct me if I'm wrong, but when some one says it has maple neckthrough with alder wings it usually means its a flying V.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On a neck-thru guitar, people often refer to body sides as wings.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Red Bull gives you wings!

I hate those commercials! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                              Red Bull gives you wings!

I hate those commercials! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL I hate those commercials, too. I hate the taste of that drink even more! Blecccck!! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X