finally gonna change it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally gonna change it up

Hey guys. Well, I've decided that I'm tired of playing with imports, so I will be making the jump to something more along the lines of a USA model jackson or possibly an older custom ESP. Sure, I still love my mockingbird and LTD, but they just don't seem to posses any personality. I have found a few places where I can get ahold of some older esp mirages and other places where I can get sl-1's. Both of which are under a grand. Since I live in North Dakota, the ability to try out either of these models first hand is impossible. I was just wondering if any of you who have owned/played both could offer your .02 as to which one you would choose in my situation?
    Thanks for your time and suggestions!

later,
    mogar

Re: finally gonna change it up

I think ESP Mirage can get it cheaper but I beleive they are bolt on.
    I love them and the were my favorite guitars with replacement necks(maple 1pc. necks made by ESP,Warmoth and GMW).
    On the other hand SL1 is a neck thru guitar.
    I love Jackson's neck thru guitars.

I would say try them and see how you like them.
    Good Luck!

Comment

ESP Mirage Customs are neck thru - the nut width is (I believe) 1 5/8 on the ESP, so is narrower than the SL1 and this might factor in your decision. I'd go for an SL1 (this is the Jackson Charvel forum!) but I do love my ESP as well!
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Unfortunately, "try before you buy" is pretty tough here in north dakota unless your talking about schecter, LTD, or gibson/epiphone. But I think that I am definately going to go for the jackson. Now that thats decided, there are three I found that are on the top of my list. 1)snow white soloist with kahler and jackson p-ups. 2) dark forest green soloist with floyd and duncans. 3) black rr-1 with (mostly) gold hardware and duncans (only the bridge and nut aren't gold. All three of these I found for under a grand. I would love to have any of these but am unsure of which to get. Also, I have never tried a kahler before and thats making me qeustion the snow white sl1. Is the kahler as smooth with the dive bombs as a floyd?

Comment

I guess I am confused with Mirage Deluxe and Custom.
          The one I was talking about are Mirage Deluxe.
          I thought the neck through versions of these older ESPs are called M1 or something. I had one with 1hum.

Comment

BTW: ESPs are imports too [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] I think that they can make a decent guitar when they want to, but these days, dollar for dollar, I think you get more from Jackson than from ESP for your money, period! If you check out the bay, you will notice that even older ESP models seem command a premium if in any kind of playable shape. Mr. $0.02
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Yeah, I know that ESPs are technically imports, but they are made to a higher quality on par with USA made instruments. I just used the term "import" to label anything that was made on an assembly line. Damn, I got two weeks until the cash flow comes in. Then after that, GAS cure time. Yay!

p.s. thanks for your guy's help so far!

Comment

As far as buying a guitar without playing it first, it can be a mixed bag. I have bought a few Jacksons over the Internet, and had pretty good results. Oddly enough, the only one I didn't like was a brand new KV2; I bought it because of the "speed neck" and ended up hating the neck profile! Other than that, I've been very satisfied.
                sigpic

Comment

It won't bother me if I don't like it right away. Chances are, I more than likely won't. I didn't like my LTD's neck and action at first, but over time, it grew on me. Now it's my favorite guitar. Besides, I could always sell/trade the guitar if I really don't like it. Since it is cheap enough so that if I do sell it, I could probably get more than what I'll pay for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X