JT-6 vs Original Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-6 vs Original Floyd Rose

I have a 1989 USA Jackson Strat with the JT6 trem. Will an original FLoyd Rose fit. If so, do I have to use new posts or will the JT-6 posts work? I want to replace it because I prefer the top mount fine tuners instead of the rear mount that this one has.

Re: JT-6 vs Original Floyd Rose

An OFR will fit right on, no sweat. No post change necessary.

Comment

thanks chuck

Comment

Hey Chuck, will an OFR fit on a Charvel Model 2 without any mod'ing?

Thanks.

Comment

I'm not Chuck ( [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) but yes, get a OFR with the long block (for non-recessed bodies) and it'll drop right in.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

not to pick any bones, but why do you like the top mount fine tuners better? i prefer the JT-6 over the OFR because i never accidently hit the fine tuners with my hand when palm muting. and if the guitar happens to fall off the stant face first the fine tuners don't get bent and whatnot. (of course we all try not to let that happen but i'm sure its happened at least once to most of us. anyway just my 1/2 cent worth.
            ~JW
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

When I palm mute I am at least 1 inch from the top mounted tuners so it is not a problem for me. It is faster for me to fine tune with the tuners on the top. Also, the top mount fine tuners seem to be easier to turn than the rear mount on the JT6. Finally, I am not a fan of the crinkle chrome finish of the JT6. It looks a little cheap to me. I like the simple look of the OFR with the engraved Floyd Rose logo on the side of it only.

Comment

ok.
                all my jt-6's are black anyway. and some of the black powdercoating is chipping from years playing and sweating, but they are great trems that have stood the test of time IMO, anyway i love the OFR too. so go for it.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

What is the best trem arm fix for the JT6? You know, to get rid us the bar slop
                  It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

If you like the Schaller trem bars on the newer Jacksons, the JT590 for example, you could modify your JT6 to accept a Schaller collar. The collar looks like this:

Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

where do you get that piece?? That would be perfect for me.

Comment

Thanks Chuck....I was going to ask about the posts and bushings. I just pucked up a dual hum Model 3 body that has the holes for the JT6 bushings...I have a set that I can use...didnt want to have to dowel and re-drill for the OFR that have..
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I am not sure. Try www.stewmac.com or www.allparts.com or just try the local guitar shop. They might have a Schaller catalogue.

The Schaller part# is 382 000
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                            I just pucked up a dual hum Model 3 body that has the holes for the JT6 bushings...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry to hear that you pucked it up. Maybe it can be repaired....
                            [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just kidding!
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I think the JT6 kicks ass, with or without the retrofitted arm. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Then again, I also really like the Original Floyd.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X