Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Rhoads

Hello,

I have what appears to be one of the older Randy Rhoads guitars. Serial # at the base of the fretboard is RR0021. The guitar is black, and may have been refinished some time in the past (there is not logo on the headstock). The bridge appears to be original with the thick brass string saddles, and the volumne and tone knobs are solid brass. The neck is, to put it kindly, a baseball bat sawn in half! The case is in very good condition and appears to be original. The guitar appears to have all the original parts except for the pickups. The frets are just about worn out and the nut needs to be replaced.

My question is: this guitar has dot inlays, where all of the other RR guitars in this serial number range I have seen have the "shark fin" inlays... I am toying with the idea of having this guitar restored, but don't want to put a lot of money into it if this is not original....

Thanks,

Lewis

[ May 05, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]

Re: Jackson Rhoads

That's a very early Rhoads you have there .. It's too bad that it wasn't restored properly.. the fact that it has dots doesn't mean a thing .. it is a student model that's why it had dots as opposed to the custom Rhoads model. It sounds like an original but it would help if you post a picture of it.

If you need to get it restored I would suggest Lee Garver at GMW .. that's his specialty and he is really good at what he does ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Who the hell is Randy Rhodes? Is he similar to the Randy Rhoads who played for Ozzy and Quiet Riot? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No, he played an offset-V-shaped electric
        piano, and was the cousin of Dusty Rhodes.

He died in a freak piano-hoisting accident. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
          That's a very early Rhoads you have there .. It's too bad that it wasn't restored properly.. the fact that it has dots doesn't mean a thing .. it is a student model that's why it had dots as opposed to the custom Rhoads model. It sounds like an original but it would help if you post a picture of it.

If you need to get it restored I would suggest Lee Garver at GMW .. that's his specialty and he is really good at what he does ..
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the response. I do have a picture.. how can I post it on the board?

Thanks,

Lewis

Comment

If you can't figure out how to post pictures, you're welcome to send me pics by email and i will make them appear here in this thread. Click on my name to the left and check my profile for my email address - remember to remove the spam thing.

If you can, please make 3-4 pics, sharp close-ups of serial, head, body and back.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

We will help you, but only if you edit your original post to correct your misspelling of Randy Rhoads' name. He is extremely well-respected here, for good reason, and some of us get a little peeved when his name is spelled incorrectly. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

RacerX has actually found a way to send a HUGE power surge to your IP address. If your lucky, it will just fry your computer. If he gets really mad he'll burn your house down!!

Comment

Lewis, don't let Schoolmaster RacerX get you all down, but we don't take kindly to the misspelling of certain things.

Of course, if you send me pictures of an electric piano, we'll drop all charges!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by syrinx:
                    No, he played an offset-V-shaped electric
                    piano, and was the cousin of Dusty Rhodes.

He died in a freak piano-hoisting accident. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">now THAT is champagne comedy [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That sounds like an awesome guitar...I can't wait to see it.

Comment

[ May 05, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                          Henrik

Comment

I have one that sounds similar and was made the same year. It is one of the best playing and sounding guitars I have ever had. I have another I bought from someone here on the board that needed restoration. I am actually just wraping it up now. If you don't have much into the guitar now, then it wont hurt to get it restored. Having it refret with wider wire would probably make it more desireable to players. What you could do is see if you can get the work order info on the guitar and find out what color it was originally and have it redone in that color, or choose a custom color. Its alot of fun and they are great guitars. I personally would bag every project San Dimas Rhoads if I could. Those necks feel at home in my hands!
                            &lt;BR&gt;

[ May 05, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Thanks Sully! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ May 05, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: RacerX ]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X