Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson USA SL-1 Question

Hi:

I am going to be buying a Jackson USA SL-1 in the near future to retire my Les Paul Custom. I have never played a Jackson USA before.....and everything I have heard/read is basically they are ass kicking guitars. From reading the construction materials, it is basically a LP Custom without the maple top or stop tailpiece...er....ebony fingerboard etc. What can I expect from the guitar as far as playability, sound, construction quality??

Re: Jackson USA SL-1 Question

try checking out some reviews on www.harmony-central.com !
    really great site with tons of information and reviews about almoust everything...

I've read quite a lot about the SL1 there too and I'd say you can expect about the best you can get for money.
    at least most of the reviews are from really satisfied users.

soundwhise it's great for heavy stuff but I'Ve heard from lots of people playing jazz or even country with an SL1.
    pure versatility.

I think you will like it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
      From reading the construction materials, it is basically a LP Custom without the maple top or stop tailpiece...er....ebony fingerboard etc. What can I expect from the guitar as far as playability, sound, construction quality??
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It does have an ebony fretboard, acutally. I have an SL-1 and I love it: really easy to play on - neck is just the right size (though a lot smaller than a Les Paul) and the fretwork is great. I did't care much for the electronics (I never do) so the pickups have been changed about four or five times. Other than that it's amazing.

Comment

Thanks for the info, keep it coming. I talked to somebody at OSG as far as prices etc. and for $1200, I really can't go wrong. I am really curious about the playability etc. I love my Les Paul, but it is entirely too old to be used much anymore. I am going to have it re-fretted one more time and retire it to its flight case for good (sniff sniff).

Comment

I have a SL-1 and I love it. Great sound versatility, plays like butter, great, great finsh work. It has my favoite neck shape of all my guitars.

This is the guitar that started my Jackson love affair. I'm starting to sell off my other stuff so I can have more Jackson !!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
            From reading the construction materials, it is basically a LP Custom without the maple top or stop tailpiece...er....ebony fingerboard etc.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Isn't a Les Paul made of mahogany? The SL1 would be alder.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

maybe you want to take a look at the SL-2H MAH, which is the mahogany version of the soloist. That one also has two humbuckers so it won't be too different in that regard to your Gibson.

MAH Soloist

I am very curious about that guitar myself... actually, Jack (slayer) has a custom made soloist archtop in mahogany that I admire very much... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

[ May 07, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Jackson also makes a Les Paulish series called the SweeTone. But then, they only come with dot inlays (ick). Haven't tried one but they have to rock - they're Jacksons [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I've got an LP Std so I can relate to your situation. No Jackson I have (out of 10) plays/feels like my Les Paul, but the one that comes close as far as a favorite player is my Archtop Soloist from Japan (NASL-160 - see it here: http://www.jacksonstars.com/nasl%20type.htm)

The new models have ebony boards - mine was a last year model with rosewood. Same specs otherwise; 2 hums, gold Schaller, etc. BEAUTIFUL player. Very lightweight (a downside compared to the LP - would've been perfect with a little more weight).
                Anyway, if you're used to the LPs 24 3/4" scale and Strat scale lengths give you trouble, I'd suggest tracking down a Jackson Archtop Soloist (either Professional or USA), as most of them had a tunamagic and 24 3/4" scale, plus a maple top.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"DejaPoo - The disinct feeling we've been through this sh1t before."

Oh, my god, that is funny!... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Rodrigo for those kind comments. Mine has the 25.5 scale and a Schaller Floyd and a Quilt Maple Amber Top. Rodrigo, can you post those pics man? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

I thought your was a shorter scale... anyways, it is THE axe...

can you please send the pictures to me again?....

[email protected]

I will post them for ya!

Comment

Rodrigo, you have mail Sir [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks alot-Jack.

Comment

Actually, many of the early San Dimas Jacksons have a neck profile that is extremely similar to the Gibson '59 rounded neck. I have RR0673 from 1984, and it is nearly identical to my 1991 LP Custom. I have J0499 from 1985, same thing. I have J0440 from 1985, same thing, the necks are like Gibson. And two of those examples are dual hums. Body wood is not mahogany. Archtop Soloists share the body woods and neck design of Gibsons, but the profile is normally much thinner and wider.
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Ok, this is a fine example of what a Jackson soloist in mahogany looks like. She is owned by Jack (Slayer)... if I wanted smoething that felt similar to a Gibson I would buy this but on the 24 3/4 scale (is that right?) and with two humbuckers...

[ May 07, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Are you expecting the SL1 to be similar to your old LP? Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but I get that impression from your original post? If so, they're very different. Scale length, # of frets, neck profile, PU arrangement... I could go on and on.

I don't want to discourage you from buying an SL1, as they are awesome, top-notch quality instruments. Highly recomended. I love them. But if you're expecting it to be like a LP, it won't be. If you can, try one out locally first.

Comment

Working...
                              X