Jackson USA SL-1 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson USA SL-1 Question

And I doubt you'd get a Gibson tone or feel from that guitar. Like I said, try an early to mid 80's San Dimas neck through, it will give you that feel. If you want a Gibson sound and tone, then get a Gibson, geeze. I tried the ADA rack mount mic'd cabinet simulator. It dawned on me, if I wanted the sound of a mic'd cabinet, why not actually put a mic on my speakers? Duh. I've never believed in "almost good enough."
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Charvel750 is right. I have a USA SL-1 and it's Japanese counterpart and no, it's nothing like a
      LPC which I also own. The flat radius neck is there, but the current ones are much WIDER. I suggest you look into playing a couple and decide if it's the axe for you. They look and play great, but looks alone is no reason to buy a $$ guitar. Good luck!

Comment

The only thing similar between an SL1 and a LP is quality, and even that leans towards the Jackson with the state of Gibson these days. Playability wise, they are completely different. The archtop, angled neck and tuneomatic bridge of the LP is a far cry from the Jackson, not to mention the shorter scale length. I've played Mahogany soloists and I don't think the tonal difference is that drastic compared to alder, considering they both have a slab of maple running through the pickup routs. I think your biggest hurdle is the overall feel of the SL1. Sound wise, the Jackson comes stock with pretty mild pickups, so you can definitly coax a variety of styles out of it.

Good luck.

Comment

Well, some of the Jackson Archtop Soloists are set necks, just like a Les Paul, so no maple under the pickups. And, those same AT Soloists have the shorter scale like a Les Paul. And, those same AT Soloists have ebony boards with dual hums. And, some AT Soloists have non trem bridges. So, in a way, there are similarities.

Comment

True, but he's talking about an SL1 so that's what I'm responding to.

Comment

These would be good facts for marketing purposes, but in the end they are so different it's almost silly to discuss.

Well, some of the Jackson Archtop Soloists are set necks, just like a Les Paul, so no maple under the pickups. And, those same AT Soloists have the shorter scale like a Les Paul. And, those same AT Soloists have ebony boards with dual hums. And, some AT Soloists have non trem bridges. So, in a way, there are similarities.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[ May 13, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: deviltronix ]

Comment

Also, the Jackson has jumbo frets with a 15" or 16" fingerboard radius. I believe the Gibson has medium frets with a rounder, 12" radius.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah young grass hopper (deviltronix) You will learn in time not to jump to quickly on the thoughts of the mighty Charvel750 for he is usually correct.
                  The only diffrences I can see between a SL2AT with a 24 3/4 scale. Is the inlays and the headstock shape. and the feel of the neck. Although the older (San Dimas, and the Shannon Soloists) Seem to have a similar neck profile to a Les Paul. ( at least to mine anyway).
                  So whats the issue to his statement? They would be very similar although one being a Jackson and the other being a Gibson. The soloist would be lighter and easier to play so [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  Gil

Comment

Tell 'em, Gil!

Comment

Working...
                    X