Solid ebony neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid ebony neck

Will Jackson make a solid ebony neck? I know Warmoth will (if the wood is available) but I am not sure if it would work on a neck-thru, since it would require a lot more ebony than a bolt-on. Any thoughts?

Re: Solid ebony neck

you like guitars that cause back problems? go for it. The ultimate in bright tone!

Comment

I guess that neck can't have a tension rod, eh?.. I feel the ebony might crack if you try to bend it... (in theory)...

Hey, did you check out Carvins' 5 piece, graphite reinforced neck?... look at this guitar for example:

Carvins' ultimate neck

I dont know about you but that seems like a dead-on solid neck to me!.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry about not answering you question specifically though... they idea does sound kind of neat...

Comment

Yes, it would be heavy. That Carvin is beautiful. I know nothing about their guitars. I never really considered their instruments, since I grew up hearing they made cheap amps so I have this irrational fear of the brand. I'll have to check them out.

Comment

If Jacksons disapeared from the face of the earth, Carvin would have me as their most loyal customer. Even though this is a Jackson/Charvel forum and all other brands get attacks quite often, I never heard a bad thing here about Carvins!...

I also know that Lee Graver (GMW) has admitedly said that it is hard to beat their prices for a custom shop!...

Comment

.....how bout a soild ebony neck thru with oak sides ? that would **** up your back forsure ! then you'd have to play low like Korn all the time for safty reasons ! lol !!!//Steve

Comment

I'm not so sure you'd like a solid ebony neck...you ever hold a piece of raw ebony? It feels like a giant black crayon! It really does...it's very "wax-y" feeling. The first thing I tried to do was dig my fingernail into it, because it felt like a piece of wax. Heavier than hell too. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[ May 08, 2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Subvamp ]

Comment

That Carvin is very nice. But it looks incredibly heavy!

Comment

Carvin DC400A = 7.75 Lbs (not too bad I think)

How much does a soloist weight?...

[ May 08, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Carvins kick ass! I have two of them (an SC90 and a DC400). The DC400 is actually up for sale in the Classifieds
                    http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=10;t=001280 and it's got a five-piece walnut/maple neck (though, you can only see the stripes on the back of the neck because the "No Show" option has the maple top cover it up on front). You can get a laminated neck on any of their models for like $100 more (maple/walnut, maple/koa, mahogany/maple). Koa/maple is $150. I'll email better pics of mine if anyone would like to see it.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just thinking of something different. I didn't know ebony was quite that heavy. I checked out the Carvin site. The H2 looks interesting. Has anyone here tried one? Guess this topic should move to the Other Manufacturers section.

Comment

i'd rather have a one peice raw rosewood neck instead.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ebony wouldn't make a very suitable neck.
                          It seems to crack pretty easy...even when well maintained.

Comment

rodrigo, dont you have a soloist? well anyway, mine is like 9 pounds. it feels really solid, without being as heavy as a les paul. I think the weight would vary because wood at the bottom of a tree is heavier than the top.

Comment

I have worked closely with a luthier friend for 15 years and have built several guitars from scratch, and I can tell you that ebony as a neck material would never work for a variety of reasons. The most important being that ebonies (gaboon and macassar varieties, specifically) are typically oily woods. This would make gluing up a neck through very difficult. Combine this with the aforementioned weight and the density/brittle tone issues, and you've got major problems!

Go with a one piece rosewood or mahogany if you want something different, but relatively stable... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X