Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on pickup change in my SL-1

Hey Guys!

What kind of change in tone might I get by replacing my SL-1's neck and middle SD Classic Stacks with a SD Hot Rails (neck) and a SD Cool Rails (middle). I'm happy with the Strat-ish tones I get out of the Classic Stacks when playing clean, and would like to retain that tone, but would like a thicker tone when playing in high-gain mode. Will the SD Rail series suit my needs?

Similarly, any opinions on the Bill Lawrence L-250 series pickups?

Thanks to all who reply!
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Re: Opinions on pickup change in my SL-1

The Hot Rails will give you a good Strattish tone when split, and a good hummer tone when full-on, with just a hint of Stratness.
    Haven't really heard a Cool Rails, but I imagine it'll sound good as well.

Are those Classic Stacks going to be up for sale? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A few years ago I outfitted my Hamer Vintage S with a HotRails at the bridge and a pair of VintageRails in the neck/mid positions. Newc's description of the HotRails is right on, I love it. FWIW, the VintageRails to me sound very Strat-ish and they're extremely quiet.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I replaced the Duncan's with EMG SA's in the neck and middle of my SL1 with great results. They have a good strat sound with alot more power and are noiseless. Plus you won't have to split it as with a hot-rail. This is my first set of EMG's and I was reluctant to go active, but they really retain the best aspects of the single coil sound with the added advantage of unbelievable sustain. Hell, Gilmour uses them and he has some of the best strat-tones committed to tape.

Comment

Working...
        X