Transparent clear coated mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transparent clear coated mahogany

Thank´s, I remember it from before now. And I remeber surfing the jacksonmuseum with a slow modem-line...
    [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Trans black and gold hardware looks fantastic.

Comment

I'd like to see a pic too.. I think it would look fine with black sides and back. I have a natural quilted top on mahogany. The sides and back are a dark redish color.

Comment

BTW, what neck wood do you want? With a neck-thru, if you get a maple neck, more of the brightness would come through than if you got mahogany. I think a mahogany body and neck would be great and wouldn't sound too bright with a 3/4" or 3/8" maple top.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was going to go for flame maple for the neck as I thought it would look good and it would also mean that the headstock wouldn't require a veneer to match the body....basically I'm starting to get bogged down here!

To recap:

I have always loved Dan's guitar (that Rob now has) but I've got an XTRR and to my ears it sounds a bit thin, and I figure solid maple (as Dan's is) would exacerbate this sonic characteristic which I believe comes in part from the reduced body mass of an XTRR.

To combat this, I thought mahogany for the body (with a 3/4 maple top), as I can live with the guitar looking different from the back.

Then I thought about the idea of veneering the back as well, but this would mean a 'sandwich' appearance on the side (given a trans colour) so I'd want solid colour sides, but that would look stupid without a burst...etc, etc and here I am: Confused and trying to compromise between what I'd spec and what Dan Spitz did nearly 15 years ago!

Ultimately I know that it makes sense to spec to my own tastes, but that's going against my idea of getting 'one like his' (though I know that this means in truth I don't want one like his, I want one that looks like it)

Arrgghhh!
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
          X