Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What Did I buy?" Part III Sprinter36's Soloist pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What Did I buy?" Part III Sprinter36's Soloist pics...

He Emailed me the pics, so Here they are... Pretty damn good looking Axe IMHO....

He said it's Serial Number is 1797

Re: "What Did I buy?" Part III Sprinter36\'s Soloist pics...

Thanks, for helping me post the pictures Charlie. I would apreciate any info anyone might have about it. year? custom shop? that sort of info.

Sprinter 36

Comment

Is it a Soloist? No neck through had a four digit serial, there should be the letter, "J" in front of the number. The early Jackson bolt ons used a four digit code, and that serial number puts it at 1987 or 1988. If it's a Soloist, J1797 is a mid 1986 SD. Pretty cool if it's neck through, that's a true strat shape, not the typical Soloist with longer/sharper horns. The dual hums are cool too, as is the lack of inlay on the neck. Can you show a headstock pic and a closeup of the neck joint?
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

This is from his original post describing the guitar;

Originally posted by Sprinter36:
        Hi everyone, I bought my first Jackson today but I'm not sure what it is. It has a strat body with H/S/H pickups, 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob. Below the knobs are three minitoggle switches, between the knobs is a bigger three way toggle switch. The tremelo is a Floyd, with locking nut. The neck is bolt on, the neck plate says Jackson made in San Dimas, California, serial number 1797. The fretboard is ebony with side marker dots, but there are no markers on the front of the fretboard. The headstock says Jackson made in USA. Hockeystick headstock also. Any help will be greatfully appreciated.

Sprinter 36
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Re: &quot;What Did I buy?&quot; Part III Sprinter36\'s Soloist pics...

Not a Soloist. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

OK, so not a Soloist then. And, the more I look at the trem, the more it appears to be an Ibanez Edge/LoPro system, or whatever they called that. Is that a Floyd Rose? Still, a cool guitar!
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

It says licensed by Floyd rose on the trem. I apreciate everyones help so far, I'm not a Jackson expert. I'm mainly a G&L collector, but I appreciate all good quality guitars. Does Jackson have archives?

Sprinter 36

Comment

Sweet guitar.
                Jackson has an archives page but it doesn't have too many older San Dimas-made/early Ontario models - usually just recent endorser and employee models, with a few "found these pics in an old box" group shots.
                I haven't seen that one in the archives.
                Look in the neck pickup cavity for bare wood - a good indicator that the neck hummer is after-market. A lot of older Jacksons with h-s-s layouts placed the middle pickup closer to the bridge to allow for such modifications of the neck pickup and still leave them all evenly spaced.

If that's the original neck it's definitely a custom order. The neck heel and neck pocket should have matching numbers of some sort (date, work order #, etc).

For a guitar that old, it's not unreasonable to expect the original trem to have been replaced at some point, as well as the added toggle between the knobs.

Jacksons were highly customizable at that time - you could get a base model (plain color, h-s-s, etc) and add your own mods as needed (i.e. neck pickup routing, trem swapping, knob additions, etc)

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Obviously it's a custom shop Strat. It would have to be custom, anything around that time period would either be ordered to a customer's spec or ordered to a dealer's spec for in stock merchandise.

They're some great guitars, and you found one that's pretty unique. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The neck pickup is a Jackson pickup, and the cavity is white like the rest of the guitar. The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan, and it looks like it's old.

Sprinter 36

Comment

I removed the neck last night, and the date in the neck pocket is 5/28/87. There were some numbers written in the neck pocket, and on the neck that matched, so I'll assume the neck is original. This guitar has the tightest fitting neck pocket I've ever seen. Once again thank you, to everyone who has helped me out and answered my questions.

Sprinter 36

Comment

Working...
                      X